Chapter Sixteen

Having only been a medicine cat for several days up to a week, Frostheart was starting to wonder whether she'd acted rashly. Skyfeather was annoyed that she'd become a medicine cat only for a few days and caused him much grief, only to swap back a few days later. He seemed to think she was going out of her way to annoy him, no matter how much she yammered on about Honeyleaf's faked so-called destiny. But she hadn't entirely forgotten what the golden medicine cat had said. Being a medicine cat was the blue-eyed white cat's destiny. Not hers, but, who was the blue-eyed white cat? Her brother might be the only cat in the Clan matching that description. Should she tell him? But he was way too busy either tailing Windecho to follow his every command or mooning over Twilightmoon. Was there anything she could do to warn him before Honeyleaf pounced on him like she'd done with her?

Frostheart didn't have a clue what to do, but she just left it there. She didn't need to warn anybody. Even if it came as a nasty shock, it wasn't super bad (Well, yes, it was, but she didn't want to admit it). Besides, Honeyleaf liked her tone of surprise. If she pounced on Cloudbeam and dramatically told him about destiny, only to find he already knew, she was going to be the most annoyed cat on the planet. Currently, she was sulking outside her den, muttering about how Frostheart had had potential and all that nonsense. Sure, maybe she'd had potential, but being a medicine cat wasn't her calling.

Still, as Amberfrost didn't seem to be aware of the change, she was quite happy to lounge in camp all day. She did go out to hunt occasionally, and join the occasional apprentice training session (well, no, they didn't have any apprentices). When she tried to join an apprentice training session, she suddenly realized how long they'd been going without apprentices and new warriors. She and her brothers might well be the only batch in moons.

She came back only to find an interesting conversation going on in the medicine den, so of course she had to eavesdrop. Twilightmoon was talking in a rapid, excited tone, words spilling out of her mouth so fast that Frostheart could barely understand her. Finally, all her questions asked, Twilightmoon looked at Honeyleaf with round eyes.

"Yes, you're expecting kits," Honeyleaf agreed shortly, then attempted to return to sorting her herbs, but Twilightmoon just kept on going.

"You're sure?" the silver she-cat asked nervously. Frostheart was sure she was testing Honeyleaf's tolerance. The cranky old medicine cat normally didn't take so many questions at a time.

"Yes I'm sure!" Honeyleaf snapped back. "What do you think you've got, belly expanding and hungry all the time cancer?"

Twilightmoon flushed under Honeyleaf's critical stare. "But, I mean, there's no chance I'll lose them, right?"

"Of course there's a chance. If you keep yelling at me, the chance is higher!" Honeyleaf fired back. "Now will you leave me alone to sort my herbs! And why are you lurking there, Frostheart? I thought you gave up."

"Gave up? No, I decided being a medicine cat wasn't my calling. And I wanted you to know that because you keep moping around muttering about all my wasted potential and whatnot!" Frostheart growled. Technically a lie, but she couldn't exactly go on about how 'the conversation had sounded interesting' and 'she'd decided to eavesdrop'. She might get in serious trouble for that. She'd already eavesdropped on the medicine cats once, to learn of the prophecy-

- the prophecy! Why hadn't she gotten a message through their magical telepathic conversation board thing? Not a message in weeks, moons even. She knew that Turtleleaf had been the most frequent correspondent, but she normally talked to Flamewing a lot, they were good friends. But if nobody was messaging, were they planning something in person, that they didn't want Frostheart and Streamlight to know? Quickly, Frostheart sent a telepathic message - Hi guys. Nothing spectacular, but if Turtleleaf and Flamewing didn't even respond to that, she would know that something was up. She got a reply from Streamlight almost immediately - Hi Frostheart. Hey, Turtleleaf and Flamewing, have you been around recently?