𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Chapter Seven
𝐒𝐩𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐲 𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐒𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬

Italics for sign language

𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐗 𝐒𝐊𝐈𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍 the stairs with a bright grin on her face, Halloween was her favorite holiday just like her mom. They both loved scaring the shit out of people and watching horror movies at ungodly times of the hour, but her favorite thing of all was dressing up. 

Halloween was the one day of the year where you don't have to be yourself, you can go as anybody, and Alex always took that opportunity. 

She entered the kitchen with Ginny right behind her. Things had settled a little bit in the past week, they were finally back to talking but it was still tense. 

They both snuck up on Georgia who was on the phone, When she pulled it away from her ear Alex yelled "Boo!" causing Georgia to almost drop her phone. "Jesus, Alexandria!" 

Alex giggled and sat on the island, knowing that her mom secretly loved being scared shitless. 

Ginny smiled and looked toward their mother, "I think I finally cracked the perfect Halloween movie marathon." She turned to Alex and listed off the movies, "Scream, Black Swan, and The Shining." 

Alex nodded as she stole a strawberry, "That's good." 

Ginny nodded as a thank you and turned back to Georgia, "The Shining is a classic. Scream is camp. White people do the darndest things. Cap it off with the Black Swan. It's contemplative, nuanced, eerily disturbing, and it has a message. I'm not sure what it is. Something to do with the women mirroring each other. The constant need for perfection and adoration." 

"Sounds familiar." 

"Wow. Am I, like, a genius? Was that an off-the-cuff thesis or what?" 

Alex giggled and they both turned to Georgia who didn't respond. "Hey, everything okay?" 

"Yeah Mom, you seem a bit off." 

Georgia turned towards them with a small smile, "Everything's fine, peaches." 

Suddenly, unknown to any of the women in the room, Austin snuck up behind them. "Can I watch with you this year?" 

Alex and Ginny jumped while Georgia didn't seem bothered, "Yeah." 

"No!" 

"Are you gonna get nightmares?" 

Austin turned to Alex and smiled, "Nope." 

"Then you can watch it." 

"No, Alex!" 

Georgia shrugged, "He's fine. It's just a scary movie."