26

Lisa made a wide circle along the school's main road, but found no sign of He Can. After searching the park, she walked to a bench with her bag in her arms and massaged her aching legs.

It was late, and there were no longer many people in the park. Where could He Can possibly be?
At that moment, her cell phone rang. It was He Can's mother. Lisa’s heart tightened and she snatched up the phone to take the call. “Any news from He Can?”

“Teacher Lisa, Can Can was found!” He Can’s mother spoke at almost the same time as she.

When He Can ran away, she had gotten on a bus. Route 79 ran until 8.30pm, and when the bus driver noticed the little girl who had been on board this whole time and who refused to say a word when he inquired where her house was, he had called for the police. The police had then quickly contacted He Can's mother and had her collect the child from the station.

Lisa was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief. "That's great that she was found! Is she hurt?"

"No. She just refuses to say anything." The voice on the other end of the line was hoarse.

"Everyone's exhausted today. Both you and He Can should go to bed early; don't agitate her again tonight. Everything that should be said can be said tomorrow."

With a sound of acknowledgement, He Can's mother hung up the phone.

As Lisa was about to slip her cell phone back into her purse, a man in black clothes ran up to her. With no warning at all, a knife glinted before her, and he commanded, "Not a sound! ​​Hand over your phone and wallet!"

He wore a hat and a mask covered his face. Only his eyes could be seen, and they were particularly sharp under the dim light of the street lamp.

Lisa’s heart pounded in her chest. She hadn’t been robbed in a very long time. As long as this was just a robbery... oh, she was so afraid... she no longer dared think further, and handed over her mobile phone.
The man snatched the phone from her hand. Looking around impatiently, he urged, "And your wallet! Hurry up!"

The whole time, that sharp, glinting knife had been pointed at her. Lisa desperately tamped down her terror. As soon as she pulled out her wallet, it was snatched. "Debit card password!"

He spoke very fast, as if being chased by someone. Lisa took a breath and blurted, "901327..." This was the combined birthdays of her and Jungkook.

She found out how shaky her voice was as she said it.

The man said nothing more. With her wallet and phone, he disappeared quickly into the night. Her legs collapsed under her, and she sank to the ground as staved-off fear flooded in like a tidal wave.

She didn't dare sit there too long. After a few breaths, she forced herself to stand up and flee the park. Not a soul met her along the way, and she felt suddenly like the park had become so large that perhaps she could no longer leave.

When the road finally came into sight, Lisa felt a burst of relief from the bottom of her heart. Across the street was a 24-hour convenience store, and without thinking, she rushed in.
Perhaps because she had violently slammed open the door, the clerk standing at the checkout counter looked at her strangely. Lisa's face was pale, and a layer of fine sweat beaded on her forehead.

Anxiously, she asked the cashier, "I'm sorry. I was just robbed in the park. I've got to call the police. Can you lend me a phone?"

Seeing that she looked genuine and recalling a recent report of a knife robbery, the cashier assented and generously handed over the mobile phone she was charging.

"Tha- thank you." Lisa took the phone and took in a few deep breaths to calm her chaotic emotions.

Jungkook was still having dinner at Song Jin’s home. Ever since he had dropped the bomb about his first love being Lisa, dinner had become even more boring. Even Song Jin had not said a word. Once the last piece of steak on the plate had been eaten, he picked up the napkin on the table and wiped his mouth. Then he got up. "Dinner has been eaten. Goodbye."