★Thirty-seven★

CONSTANCE BANE

This house has never felt as incredibly empty as it did at this moment.

It was too quiet, too empty, too...alone. To the point where it feels wrong.

I immediately felt like bailing on this plan, as if something was telling me that it wasn't worth it. What if something went wrong? What if Harry and Zayn were wrong and Lela was innocent after all? Maybe she just accidentally got caught up in all of this without knowing — without meaning to.

But that's why I have to do this. If I don't do this now, who knows if another opportunity would come when everyone was out of the house and when I could comfortably look through her stuff.

And disappointing Zayn's hard work that he had been doing these past few months somehow felt worse than actually betraying Lela, so I don't really have a choice.

If I'm not doing this for Harry and Zayn, then I'm doing this for myself...only because that woman never really liked me, did she?

My footsteps pounded in my ears, seeming too loud for the soft steps that I was taking. My heart was ready to jump out of my throat. I felt like a little kid trying to sneak and snack in the middle of the night while their parents slept.

All noises are louder when you need them to be quiet.

I tried reminding myself that I was alone in the house, aside from possibly Micah who didn't really pay attention to anyone other than Ophelia, so that was fine.

There was nothing to worry about.

Absolutely nothing.

Increasing the speed of my walking, I ended up in front of the familiar bedroom door which I visited more often than not.

The small colorful flowers dotted in the corners of the door were thanks to Belle's and Ophelia's small projects that they partook in when they were bored. So were the purple clouds and blue-colored stars circling the lock, and the vines of the flowers trailing down to wrap themselves around the door knob.

The small, plush carpet in front of the door acted as a doormat as if to welcome their "guests" to their bedroom. Only recently placed there, a new addition.

Taking a deep breath, and shaking my head to remove any doubts away from my mind, I didn't look back as I placed my hand on the gold-colored door handle and pushed it open.

Entering the room, a gust of cool wind hit my face as I slowly pushed the door closed behind me, leaving it slightly ajar so as to hear outside of the room if need be.

Looking around the room one more time, I took a few steps toward my destination and then practically lunged for Lela's bed, kneeling down on the floor, and pulling out the drawer attached to the side of the bed.

My eyes ran through all her belongings, looking for any papers, documents, passports, letters, cameras, anything that might help them prove whatever they were looking for.

To be honest, I, myself, was lost on what to look for as none of the two idiots told me what exactly Zayn had found on her.

I kept everything in the drawer, only slightly moving some papers up and down, left or right, and then immediately putting them back in their previous place as they didn't seem to be valuable.

Pushing the bangs off to the side of my forehead, I leaned down to look further back in the drawer.  Squinting my eyes, I noticed a stack of black paper, and on top of that, a pile of small cameras that were very similar to those that Zayn set up a while ago outside the house.