☆Forty-four☆

CONSTANCE BANE

I stared down Rue as she came back through the hotel door, peeking her face through the small opening before stepping through.

She was sporting a sheepish smile on her face, her hands crossed behind her back with shopping bags dangling from her fingers.

I continued sitting on the carpeted floor, my legs crossed together as I scrolled through the active MySpace account of our band, the music from the video playing through the speakers of the phone.

Rue softly shut the door behind her with her heel and took a few tiny steps forward.

"I brought you some apology presents," she revealed the bags hidden behind her back and held them out, her arms fully extended in front of her.

I started at the bags, back at her face, back at the bags, and then reached my hand forward, wiggling my fingers as I kept my eyes focused on the ground.

I felt a heavy weight drop onto the tips of my fingers and my hand flew down to the floor along with the shopping bags which were now tipped over sideways.

"Really?" I deadpanned, looking up at Rue from my lashes, and then looked back down at the brown, paper bags which now had items peaking out of the openings.

I caught a peek of the new red Juicy pants which just came into stock yesterday at 6 PM and I've been raving about them up until we went to sleep.

"You're not gonna buy me out of being angry," I glanced at her in feigned annoyance but my eager fingers couldn't keep from grabbing the velvet material into my hands.

"I'm not buying you out!" She laughed and sat on the edge of the bed, her jean-covered legs extending in from of her on the carpet as she leaned back on her hands.

"You knew what you were doing when you bought these," I flipped the pants around to look at the gems covering the backside and then let them fall onto my lap.

She ignored what I had said and jerked her head towards the radio on the table across from us.

"Turn on some music."

"Why..."

"Just turn on the damn music, Connie," Rue rolled her eyes with a smile and moved her hair away from her curls away from her face. "Oh, and make sure it has some groove to it, some rhythm."

I sighed and pushed myself off the floor, closing my eyes shut for a second wishing the dizziness would go away soon, and slowly walked over to the black radio, pressing the ON button, watching the light turn green.

And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart and
My heart will go on and on

"Absolutely fuckin' not, next," she shouted from behind me and I switched over to the next song.

I'm sick, quick-witted, for every lyric spitted
There are six critics who wait for me to slip with it
So, quick—this dynamite stick, bury the wick

"Not the time for Eminem right now, next!"

I'm bringin' sexy back (yeah)
Them other boys don't know how to act (yeah)