CHPT 3 --- OUR SIMULATION

As we shuffled off the bus, Mr. Takenada called out for us to gather and make sure we had everything we needed since we'd be here for the next two hours. Outside Base 0, the atmosphere buzzed with anticipation and a touch of nervous energy.

I heard footsteps approaching from behind and turned to see Carmen, the girl who had bailed me out of a potentially embarrassing situation earlier on the bus.

"Well, new kid, I never got your name," she said casually, hands tucked in her pockets. Carmen exuded a laid-back vibe that piqued my curiosity about her quirk.

I shifted my gaze slightly, nervously fiddling with my uniform sleeves before quietly sharing my name. Carmen seemed to notice my nervous tic but didn't mention it, opting instead to wave and wish me luck for today's training. I couldn't help but notice the support gear she was sporting; maybe her quirk involved technology?

Before I could ponder further, our teacher motioned for us to meet our teaching assistant for the day.

Man, what a day to show up. All I wanted was to crawl back into bed.

That was before my eyes locked onto our assistant—ZUKKER PUNCH! He's of my favorite heroes from this generation, even if he only just debuted a few months ago!

I overheard two classmates groaning about seeing him too often at home. I rolled my eyes; having pro-hero relatives couldn't be all that bad. Mr. Takenada went on to explain why we were at Base 0 that day.

"You're all skilled at battling each other and foes, but not at rescuing civilians during disasters," he elaborated. Zukker Punch stepped forward, his presence commanding attention.

"And I know many of you have combat-focused quirks, unlike mine—" I silently agreed with him on that point.

PRO HERO - ZUKKER PUNCH

QUIRK - ADRENALINE AND MELATONIN

This quirk allowed him to harness adrenaline in his left hand, potentially inducing a heart attack or boosting someone's stamina based on the impact's force. With his right hand, he could induce drowsiness or even a coma.

Excessive use of his quirk could render his arms temporarily immobile.

The realization that we had arrived at Base 0 hit me only when a deafening screech filled the air, followed by the gates closing behind us.

Gasps echoed among my classmates as our teacher instructed us to step back, the lights flickering before plunging into darkness.

"Zukker," Mr. Takenada began, but before he could finish, a spear of energy narrowly missed his face, embedding itself in the wall behind us.

Laughter reverberated as the lights abruptly returned, revealing a figure sauntering toward us from the plaza of Base 0. Mr. Takenada's wings fluttered agitatedly, resembling a giant fly's buzz.

He looked furious, his quirk's bright pink and orange stripes blazing with rage.

"Who are you?" he demanded, his quirk pulsating as he grew increasingly incensed.

The intruder adopted a playful tone. "My, my, Beel, is this the example you want your students to witness? Not very heroic, is it?"

Mr. Takenada remained silent, urging us to stay close. Suddenly, Damini grabbed me and sprinted alongside our classmates.

A classmate named Kenji spoke up as we watched more villains flood the plaza. "How can Mr. Takenada face all of them alone? Some of us need to stay and help!"

A tall girl with locs nodded in agreement. "We can't abandon our teacher to fight alone; we must assist!"

Damini paused, turning to Kenji and the girl. "He told us to run. We can't be heroes if we don't follow—"

Her words were cut short as she was swallowed by a swirling portal. I stared in horror before I, too, was dragged into the void.

I grunted as my body hit the floor of a disaster simulation, pulling myself to my knees. A figure helped me up, revealing Mallet Boy and Sans from Wish behind him.

Mallet Boy spoke first.

"Gee, that was quite a fall, huh?" he chuckled, arms reverting to normal length. "Those villains sure have annoying quirks. I was about to drop an anvil on one of 'em!"

Sans from Wish sighed. "Alex, that's illegal. Mr. T specifically told us not to use our quirks."

ALEXANDER KEITA

QUIRK - RUBBER HOSE-TOON FORCE

He can stretch his limbs like a cartoon character and is immune to electricity. He can also manipulate objects and people around him, like bugs bunny, but weaker!

I shake Mitsuko's hand before Alex suddenly wraps his hand around his waist.

"Let's get going, toots, times a wasting!"

I fiddle with my sleeves

we venture around the simulation

I WAS NEVER TRULY PREPARED FOR WHAT WOULD COME

Or, maybe I was.