Chapter 2.3: Beneath the surface

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

4th May, 3:23 PM

With an expression of contempt and helplessness, she squinted her eyes, and her trembling, goosebumps-covered legs grudgingly spread. There was no attempt of attempting to resist. The conceited Karuizawa was washed with vulnerability.

    "Sit down on the couch, Karuizawa," I ordered after removing my hand from the wall behind her and distancing myself from her.

Karuizawa slowly cracked her eyes open, confused but did not refute. Once she sat on the couch, I made my way to the kitchen to open the fridge.

    "W-What are you doing?"

    "That was just a test to see how far you would go to keep your secret hidden. I wasn't genuinely interested in your body," I finally revealed, walking toward her after retrieving the box from the fridge.

    "Then—"

    "I just have one condition," I interjected, placing the box on the table and continuing, "During this one month, when it's just the two of us, let's pretend that we are dating."

    "Eh...?" she shrieked, surprised and confused, her eyes dilating.

    "We are supposed to act like a married couple anyway, so this shouldn't be too much of a strain, right?"

At this point, there was no possible way that she could refuse since in her mind, there was always the threat that I'd tell everyone about her secret.

    "O-Okay, but what is this chocolate cake for?"

    "I believe your birthday was on the 8th of March."

    "Yeah, but that was already about two months ago..." she mumbled, the anxiety and stuttering in her voice slowly but steadily dissipating.

Seeing that her trauma must be very recent, the possibility of her not having celebrated her birthday properly was high. Personally, I had never celebrated my birthday, but apparently, it is common to do it. Or so I have read on the internet.

This, in my opinion, is very ironic since they are celebrating the fact that they are one year closer to death.

    "Still, I figured I'd belatedly celebrate your birthday with you since we are "dating"."

    "Happy birthday, Karuizawa," I gently added, her emotions threatening to overwhelm her any second as her eyes turned glassy.

    "T-Thank you," she mumbled, taking a bite of the chocolate cake as she sniveled and wiped her tears away.

    "Now, if you're fine with it, I want to know your story, Karuizawa."

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

1st April (Kei's first school day in junior high), 7:20 AM, 2012

With a groggy yawn, I trudged down the stairs, rubbing my weary eyes to dispel the drowsiness dwelling on them like a weight. The enticing fragrance of homemade miso soup and steamed rice assaulted my nostrils and stimulated my senses.

The dining room was filled with the soft glow of morning light, casting gentle shadows on the furniture and illuminating the flowers in the vase on the windowsill.