Chapter 2.7: Best Girl

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

11th May, 4:30 PM

"You like cherry blossoms, right?"

Matsushita was seated next to me as I stood atop a rocky outcrop within the school grounds.

The neighboring cherry blossom trees, in full bloom, released their petals in the wind, creating a scenic image that seemed almost sublime.

I nodded with a supple smile. "Mhm."

The birds perched in their nests sang their melodious songs, while others took flight, their wings slicing through the cloudless sky.

Matsushita's legs dangled above the ground, and the sunlight played with the strands of her hair.

"Yuki, is there someone you like?" she suddenly queried.

The fresh scent of the sea breeze washed over us, filling my senses with its briny tang as I blinked with widened eyes.

"Where did that come from, Matsushita?"

The question came out of nowhere.

Matsushita offered a small, knowing smile and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm just curious, you know?"

I reached out to pluck one of the blossoms from the air, its petals soft and fragile against my fingertips.

Someone I like...

I tightened my grip and held it against the light, relishing its beauty.

"Yeah... Yeah, I guess so."

Flashback

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

First "real" week of WR

Today, a week after the new, more rigorous curriculum had officially replaced the old, I hobbled up and down the corridor, clutching my notes to my chest. Pain throbbed in my legs due to the harsh physical workout we had endured earlier.

Not only that, there was a pervasive rottenness in my belly that wouldn't subside. The strain of stress bore down on me, and I felt peculiarly helpless, deprived of any support to alleviate it.

The taste of anxiety lingered on my tongue, bitter and acrid as if I had bitten into something foul.

"Ouch, ouch..." I muttered under my breath as I continued to navigate the long, empty corridor.

I winced with each step, my legs protesting the strain.

Until it happened. I stumbled and fell, my notes scattering in all directions. I sighed in frustration and began the task of gathering them, my discomfort compounding.

As I reached for a stray sheet, I heard footsteps approaching from behind. Slowly, I turned my head and saw a boy my age entering my field of vision.

His brown-yellowish orbs and unruly brown bangs had an uncanny resemblance to someone I recognized.

There was no mistaking it: He was unquestionably the son of Ayanokoji-sensei.

Before the new, stringent curriculum had been implemented, the children here used to engage in various activities together, like reading books and solving math problems.