Chapter 2.8: I missed you

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

(Two days before Kiryuuin and Ayanokoji's meeting)

12th May, 8:54 AM, Kushida POV

"Haven't you been staring a little much, Kushida-san?"

Mei-Yung's voice cut through the classroom's din, drawing my attention. I blinked, momentarily disoriented by the abrupt interruption.

"Huh? What do you mean, Mii-chan?" I asked with a startled but still enthusiastic tone.

The noise in the classroom was so loud and I was spacing out, I almost missed her.

"Your eyes keep shifting towards Ayanokoji-kun."

"Yeah, you're right. She's been eyeing him ever since yesterday," Satou added, leaning on my desk.

Wait, was it that obvious? I snuck a peek at him, but he was only looking out of the window like a loser.

Well, not that it's my fault. I can't help it.

Ever since that incident, he was always on my mind. His presence, his words, his actions – they all haunted me, like a ghost that refused to leave.

And then there was Amasawa. That conniving witch. If it weren't for her, none of this would have happened.

Damn her.

"Don't tell me..." Satou whispered, breaking the spell that had enveloped me.

I turned to face her, along with Mei-Yung and Shinohara, who were all looking at me expectantly. I could feel the eyes of the others on me by now.

"Do you miss Ayanokoji-kun?!"

Why the fuck would that bitch say such nonsense?

Missing this bastard!? How could I miss this bastard?

And now half the class was looking at me.

How fucking annoying.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to compose myself. But my body seemed to have a mind of its own, and I could feel the heat rising from the depths of my being.

"No, definitely not," I calmly dismissed, forcing a light laugh to mask the sudden rush of emotions. "I was just... wondering how he'd manage without my guidance."

But even as I spoke, I couldn't shake the feeling that something had changed.

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

14th May, 5:40 PM

"C'mon, at least try a little," Kiryuuin urged, poking the fork with cake on my cheek

I could feel the softness of the cake and the sting of the fork against my skin. The cake seems to be a black forest gateau.

"I'm good."

"Open up, here comes the airplane..." she teased, moving her fork towards me like an airplane.

The cake was a sweet temptation, but I shook my head.

"What do you want?"

The sound of laughter and chatter from the bustling crowd around us in Keyaki Mall passed by as she sighed.