67.

Violet.

My eyes gently flit open, sunlight streaming through the floor to ceiling window and the first question that hits me is, I got to sleep? It's been a difficult feat for the past few days.

My brain's been hard to shut off recently. It's been three days and Everest's on the same page. Since I'm not sleeping, he isn't either.

When I roll over, he isn't in our bed. I'm used to it as much as I don't like it. He works out early in the morning now, which is also something I have to learn. He'll be at the gym probably so I run my hands over my eyes.

I'm back home. Despite everything, that makes my chest lighten and a small smile grace my face.

My phone's on my bedside table but I hesitate even glancing towards it. My brothers have texted and called and I feel a pang of guilt. But I just need space. I need some time to think and breathe.

Soon. I will talk to them soon. I'm basically running from everything that has to do with them, the manor, the affair. The place I grew up in and the people I grew up besides. I shouldn't feel traitorous. But a tiny bit of me does.

I decide to ignore it all and lift myself up, running a hand through my tangled hair. Swinging my legs off the bed, I'm immediately met with my little sphynx cat. I'd brought her to the apartment.

We're a team that's gonna make it in the end, me and Leia. Scooping her up, I give her some love. I've had to keep her locked in our bedroom since we haven't introduced her to Lola yet. That'll be interesting.

Benji and Val were the only ones to show her the love she deserves and everyone else steered clear of the nutsack cat. Abominable. Just cos she doesn't fit the cat beauty standards. Leia's beautiful in her own right and I know they'll warm to her soon.

Ripley, my hamster is officially in Azure's possession. He doesn't say that. He still claims to loathe the ugly furball but whatever.

She purrs against my hand but suddenly, voices filter through the apartment. It's a big space. When voices echo as loud as that, it never feels right. It sounds like commotion so hesitantly, I set Leia down and go to my door.

As soon as I step out, my nerves spike. The booming voice isn't just anyone's. I'd recognise my oldest brother's voice anywhere and I crystallise in place. He's here. In Manhattan. In our penthouse.

I hadn't prepared. I hadn't expected this. But I can hear shouting and if it's Everest, I'm not leaving him there to fend for himself.

Forcing myself to move, I walk out of the hallway and towards the noise. Sage and Everest are face to face and as soon as he spots me, Sage's face falls. He's in a suit as usual. He looks composed, as usual but the chaos in his eyes say something else entirely.

"Violet." He breathes out.

I don't think I'm breathing.

Everest turns around to me. His jaw tightens like he hates that I have to see this. I'd told him I wanted space from my family right now. I just wanted to screw my head on right but Sage has bulldozed in here and I know the determination in his eyes. He won't stop.

"It's okay." I tell Ev.

"It's not." He snaps back, to just me.

My older brothers have hurt me in someway shape or form. In Everest's eyes, that's entirely enough reason to hate them. But no matter how hard I try, I can't hate my brothers. I know Ev understands even if it never sits right with him.

He'd love Luca and Hudson no matter what they'd do to him. Brothers are difficult and complicated. He knows that. He has two crazy ones of his own.

There's another knock to the door. Luca's the one to open it this time and whoever it is, he blocks their path and snaps, "Oh, fuck no."