68.

I'm not sure how it happened but everyone's fallen asleep. We were binge watching Marvel movies together in the lounge room, at Miguel's request. Our suitcases are lined in the hallway, ready for our flight tomorrow morning.

It makes my chest lighten in excitement. Even Benji and Miguel are heading to the shores of Lake Como with us tomorrow. It'll be their first time ever on a plane, ever out of the country. A lot of time has passed now since I've returned home and I'm excited for the outing. They'd never had annual holidays like I had as child so I'm glad that I - well, Sage - get to give this to them.

They'd planned on staying awake all night so they'd hopefully pass out on the morning flight but clearly, their mission failed. I don't even think it's midnight and both of the girls have fallen asleep on me. Ria's on my shoulder, Val's snuggled on my lap.

I manage to reach my phone and shoot Everest a text. He'd gone out with Luca. I'm not sure where, and they haven't returned yet.

Violet: hey, when are you back?

Ev: everything okay?

Violet: everyone's sleeping.
i think im gonna need some help
moving the fleet.

Ev: there in five, sweetheart.

I turn my attention back to the TV. One of the Captain America movies are playing. I've only ever preferred the Guardian of the Galaxy movies, since I prefer sci-fi and those have a lot more to do with space battles and aliens. I tilt my head. Chris Evans is beautiful. Val made a great point.

It's not long before I hear the door opening. I smile, glad they're back until I look over my shoulder.

Luca and Everest are holding Hudson up, one arm around each of their shoulders. More like dragging him into the apartment because he seems passed out. Or dead. My entire body freezes at the sight of his head hanging between his shoulders, no movement to his body at all.

"Ev-"

"Don't wake them." Everest says, grunting as he hoists Hudson up and they head towards the bedrooms. He looks limp, lifeless.

My throat dries, "Is he—"

"He's passed out for now." Everest says, "It's okay."

He doesn't sound like he believes himself, eyes frantic and worried but they've turned the corner before I can say or register anything else. Silence envelops me. I can't just sit here. I need to know if everything's okay.

It takes me a lot of gentle shimmying and hesitation but I manage to get both the girls into comfortable positions without leaning onto me. Standing from the couch, I glance around to make sure everyone's okay before I head to where they went.

When I get to Hudson's room, I stand in the doorway quietly. My chest squeezes with something painful as I watch Luca and Everest lower him onto the bed, pulling his legs up. Hudson doesn't open his eyes, doesn't move as they situate him. Why does the sight hurt so much? How can one boy seem so broken?

Everest pulls off his shoes whilst Luca perches on the edge of the besides Hudson's body. Luca drops his head, elbows on his knees and his entire body crystallised, "What the fuck do we do, Ev?"

"I don't know." Ev's breathing is unsteady. I recognise it as the sort he gets when he's panicked, "I don't know." He repeats.

"What the fuck has he taken?" Luca mumbles, "It could be anything. Did you find anything on him?"