Chapter 13- Reborn From The Ashes Like A Phoenix

Keigo held onto Toya tightly during his last breath, and he felt his body stiffen and go lifeless in his arms. The kids sobbed as they watched their dad's body suddenly burst into ashes. Keigo tried to be strong for them, but he ended up clinging onto them tightly as he too broke down into sobs. The ashes were the only thing left of Toya besides their kids. He wasn't sure if he could manage on his own. Shaking, he pulled out his phone and called Toya's family to tell them what had happened. Enji was the first one to pick up. He instantly knew something was wrong. Keigo would never call on such an important day.

"Keigo? What's wrong?" He asked. The others picked up at that moment.

"Toya- he- he- damn it - that stupid bastard went out of his way to protect me and the kids from getting harmed. Some men broke into the house, and he used his quirk and-" Keigo was talking so fast. They all could barely make out what he was saying.

"Slow down. Can you tell us what happened?" Enji asked.

"I don't know. He never got to tell us exactly what happened." Keigo said through his tears. Audible gasps were heard from the other side of the phone.

"What do you mean he never got to tell you?" Rei asked.

"I rushed home, and he was on the floor. Smoke was pouring from his body. I woke him up, and the first thing he asked me was if he did a good job protecting the kids and I. I told him he did, and then he said that he - that he knew his life was going to end like this. And then he told us it was going to be okay and that even death couldn't handle him and he pulled us in for one last hug and I held him until he went lifeless in my arms- and then he just turned to complete ash." The other end was silent. Rei was the one to speak again.

"Keep his ashes right where they are. There's one aspect of his quirk we were never sure of, but I believe you just confirmed it for us." Rei said. Keigo was confused.

"What? What would that be?" Keigo asked.

"Tell me. Have the ashes changed?" Rei asked. Keigo looked. Sure enough, his ashes were starting to form something.

"Yes. They're starting to take the shape of something. I have no idea what it is, though." Keigo said as he observed the ashes. What the actual hell was going on? Just then, Toya emerged from the ashes. Keigo's eyes widened in shock. How was this possible? He dropped his phone.

"God, you ugly cry. It's not the prettiest sight of you to see." Toya said as blue eyes met gold eyes. Keigo just tackled him into a tight hug. Toya laughed and hugged back tightly.

"I told you. Even death can't handle my stubborn ass." Toya said with a grin. Gold eyes observed him carefully, and he noticed. There were no scars on Toya. They were completely gone. Like the incidents never happened.

"Toya.. Your scars. They're gone." Keigo said. Toya looked down at his arms. They were gone.

"It's so weird not having them. They've defined me for so many years." Toya said.

"You know what this means, right?" Keigo asked. Toya shook his head.

"Toya. You can become a pro-hero." Keigo said.

"Me, a hero? Isn't it a little late for that?" Toya asked. Wasn't it too late to become a hero?

"Never too late, Toya. It's never too late to chase after your dream. And obviously, you have a fresh start now. People won't even recognize you. You can start anew." Keigo said. Toya's eyes filled with hope.

"C'mon. I'll help you train to become a hero. Do you want Dabi to be your hero name?" Keigo asked. Toya silently nodded.

"Alright, then Dabi's your hero name from now on." Keigo said with a grin. Toya smiled and gently hugged him. Keigo happily hugged back.