thirteen: sisters.

janae.

"i missed you so much." my older sister, malani, said as she hugged me.

"i missed you too, lani." i said, hugging her back before pulling away.

"this is niceeee." she said, examining my apartment making me laugh.

"thanks. so what you getting into today?"

"uh, not much. i gotta go look at some apartments then head down to my firm." she said, sitting in a bar stool.

malani is my older sister. we've always been attached at the hip but i became distant once some stuff happened. we've reconnected over the years but it's still hard to act like nothing happen when the conversation that we need to have keeps being avoided.

"awe shit, you a big time fancy lawyer now huh?" i said, making her laugh.

"just trying to do my best, you know. for nik."

the room got silent.

"yeah...for nik." i said, swallowing my water roughly.

somebody knocked on my door.

"aye, you can put your stuff in the guest room, lani." i said, walking to the door.

"where it's at?"

"second room on the right."

i opened the door to see amani and kyra, holding bags of food.

"we brought snacks!" kyra exclaimed, smiling as she walked in.

i took a full look at amani.

she had on a gray cropped shirt with some blue jeans and some cool grey 11s.

"mhm, i know y'all did." i said, pulling amani into a hug and kissing her neck.

"moveeee." she said, smiling.

"i missed you." i mumbled against her skin as i hugged her from behind with my head in the crook of her neck.

"i missed you more, nae."

"you a softie now." kyra cringed making me smack my lips.

"wassup with you shawty, i ain't seen you in a brick." i said, walking over to her and nudged her shoulder.

"y'all been too busy fucking to come around."

"we came around yesterday but you left early."

"because my man was calling."

"mannnn? which one we talking about?" amani asked.

"mr.snipes. i gave him a chance or whatever." kyra said, smiling making me laugh.

malani walked back into the living room.

"y'all, this is my older sister, malani. lani, this is amani and kyra."

everybody exchanged "nice to meet you's" and hugs.

"you're pretty." amani said.

"thank you, so are you. i love your skunk stripe by the way. i was thinking about getting one myself." malani said.

"ouu yes, get red. it looks like your color." kyra said making malani smile.

"i want some cane's, i've been craving some since i got back in town."

amani ran over to her and hugged her.

"you were literally sent for me, oh my god." amani said making us laugh.

"where you from?" kyra asked.

"uh well we're dominican and grew up in the bronx but we moved to dc for high school."