forty seven: estrella.

janae.

"so how's lashay?" my mother asked, sipping her water as she laid in the hospital bed.

it was just me and her since malani and rashaad went to work.

amani was over apryll's house again with zahara for some unknown reason.

i was planning to meet kay and dougie later on.

i'm trying to make the best of the situation which includes forgiving my mother, no matter how difficult it is for me.

i shrugged.

"she been ghost lately but i guess she's good."

"ghost? why so?"

"she's pregnant."

"dios mio ( my god)!" my mother gasped.

i let out a small laugh.

"por qué ya no viene (why doesn't she come around anymore)? being pregnant is no reason to go... come se dice(how do you say)...ghost!" she said, snapping her fingers once she found the word she was looking for.

"it's 'cause of who it's by."

"who? is he feo (ugly)?"

i laughed.

"no, mama. he was with our friend at the time and she didn't wanna hurt her."

"so he's a cheater?"

"not really, 'cause him and lashay slept together way before him and our friend started dating."

"so why is she hiding the baby if it was way before your friend? it makes no sense!"

"i guess 'cause she was embarrassed to say it was by him. especially since he was dating our friend so maybe she didn't wanna hurt her. but at the same time, lashay lied to her and said he was saying he wanted to be a family and stuff when in reality all he said was that he was gonna be there for the baby. and it's a possibility it's lashay's ex boyfriend's baby too. so now he's sad 'cause our friend broke up with him 'cause lashay lied." i explained.

my mother sighed as she played solitaire on her phone.

"desordenada(messy). does she want to date your friend? que sucia (how dirty). no need to lie."

"i think so but he wants to be with our friend. he asked me and amani to help him get her back but she's not really trying to hear it."

"ella sabe lo que vale, eso es bueno (she knows what she's worth, that's good). who's amani?"

"my girlfriend."

my mother looked at me before smiling.

"realmente (really)? how come i've never met her?"

"she's with kay and dougie's girlfriends right now. i'll bring her past before i go meet kay and dougie."

"who are kay and dougie?"

"kevin and arion, mama." i laughed.

"jesus! these nicknames. anywho, is amani nice?"

"very, i'm sure you'll love her."

"por qué ya no hablas español cuando hablas conmigo? has olvidado tus raíces dominicanas (why don't you speak spanish when you talk to me anymore? have you forgotten your dominican roots)?"

"no, no lo he hecho. acabo de perder el hábito de hablar español en cada oración. solo lo digo cuando estoy enojado ahora" (no, i haven't. i just lost the habit of speaking spanish in every sentence. i only say it when i'm angry now).