Chapter 1: Amortentia

Nessa Black

The first month at Hogwarts was exhausting. The sixth year in this school was something else. More homework than ever and harder things to study than ever. Studying for the O.W.L.S seems like a kids' game from my current perspective. Anyways, studying is not the only thing that drains out my whole energy. It is the tension between me and my cousin Draco Malfoy, as well as the broken dynamic of our little Slytherin friend group. From the moment we took the Hogwarts Express I felt that something was off, but I still can't figure out what exactly it is.

Last night I was spying on Draco for the first time since our arrival at Hogwarts and my mission was completely ruined as he caught me way faster than I'd previously thought.

I knew he was sneaking out of the dorm after curfew since the second week of this school year, but only yesterday I managed to follow him successfully through the hallways, up to the seventh floor. However, I turned out to possess no luck as I didn't manage to suppress my sneeze and Draco found me spying on him.

I couldn't tell him why. If I had the choice, I wouldn't interfere with his deeds, but I made a promise to Narcissa that I will watch over him during the school year.

She didn't precisely tell me the reasons behind her request, but I still gave her my word. That I will look after Draco and reach out to her if I find anything disturbing in his overall state or behavior.

***

'I didn't suppose you were such a nosy girl, Black', Draco clenched his jaw and grabbed me by my waist, pressing my body against the cold marble wall.

'I am not. I just happened to be here', I responded.

He laughed loudly at my remark.

'You are so annoying. The Sorting Hat should have put you into Ravenclaw.'

Typical Malfoy and his manners.

'I'm telling you the truth', I insisted. 'Just let me go. And even if I spied on you, what will you do? Kill me?'

Again. That laugh. This time eviler and darker, which sent goosebumps all over my body.

'If you keep getting on my nerves, I easily could'.

It would be naïve to say that I didn't expect such an answer. I've known Draco for more than two years. A fair amount of time. Enough for knowing his speech and behavior patterns pretty well.

'I'm your cousin, Malfoy.'

'Do I seem to care, Black?'

***

I am running through the hallways, almost tripping over first and second-year students, but never stopping as I don't want to be late for the first class of the week - Potions with Professor Horace Slughorn. I couldn't allow this as a member of the Slug Club. Not that he was the best Potions teacher we could wish for, but my interest in the subject was too strong for any teacher to make me grow a dislike towards Potions classes.

I meet Professor Slughorn at the door of the Potions cabinet. His smile grows wider as he sees me.

'Good morning, Professor', I greet politely.

'Good morning, Ms. Black. Right on time. Precise as always, as it should be', he opens the door for me and I smile shyly not knowing what to say.

As I enter the classroom I quickly find my seat on the second right row, next to Bella Dawson - my closest person in Hogwarts. She gives me a warm welcoming hug and then turns right for a quick last kiss with her boyfriend Blaise Zabini before the start of the lesson.

'Good morning, class', Professor Slughorn greets looking at the full room with students. 'I see that all of you are here today, which makes me more than pleased. You must have somehow predicted the topic of today's lesson.'

He turns toward the chalkboard behind his back and writes the name of the potion we're going to cover today.

AMORTENTIA.

Hermione Granger from Gryffindor is already raising her hand in the left half of the classroom, desperately wanting to show off her big brain and gain more points for her house. But then I remember, I have 10 points on my account and the faster I gain them back the better.

I raise my hand before Slughorn has called out Hermione's name.

'Alright, it seems that we have two people who would like to sum up today's lesson', the smile on Professor Slughorn's face never fades out.

He pauses for a second and then suddenly says: 'Yes, Ms. Black'.

I can see the dissatisfaction on Granger's face with my peripheral vision, but I couldn't care less. I want my 10 points back. I stand up and with all the confidence I possess I start talking.

'Amortentia is the most powerful love potion. It doesn't really create love, of course. It simply causes a powerful infatuation or obsession. It is supposed to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. It is believed to be one of the most dangerous and powerful potions to ever exist.'

As I speak I can hear Draco chuckling behind my back, but I try to simply follow my strategy of ignoring his existence. At least after our last conversation.

Slughorn claps his hands in excitement and grabs one of the cauldrons from his desk.

'Perfectly said, Ms. Black. 10 points to Slytherin.'

A complacent grin grows on my face as I sit back in my seat. Bella squeezes my hands and whispers 'You're the best' to me as Professor Slughorn gets closer to our desks.

'Now let's check what Amortentia smells like to some of you.'

As I expected Slughorn lands the cauldron right in front of me and I happen to be the first victim of the Amortentia experiment.

I immediately feel it.

Mint, cologne, bitter green apples, salty ocean water.

I could never share it in front of the whole class.

'Whipped cream, sour cherry, and freshly cut grass', I lie and desperately hope that the professor would move the cauldron away from me faster.

'Good, good', Slughorn mutters under his nose and moves on to the next row.

'Mr. Nott. Let's see what your Amortentia smells like.'

Theodore needs a couple of seconds to determine the scents coming from the potion.

'Almonds, jasmine, tuberose, and cocoa.'

I gulp silently. Expected. The scent of the perfume I've been using for years. Theo has been having a crush on me since last year and this was a well-known fact in our friend group. However, hearing him listing the ingredients of my perfume in front of the whole class makes me feel awkward. He is an amazing boy, but I just love him as a friend. Thinking of the fact that he had to say this out loud while looking at my back at the front row forms a lump down my throat.

'Great, now Ms. Parkinson', Slughorn pulls me out of my thoughts as he moves on to my second girl friend in Hogwarts - Pansy Parkinson.

She has been in love with Draco Malfoy for so long that it was obvious not just to us Slytherins but to the whole school. Her Amortentia must smell of him. There's no doubt.

Pansy's answer comes quicker than Theo's.

'Mint, cologne, green apples, ocean.'

What?

Slughorn moves on to Malfoy without giving me any time to reflect on what I've just heard. I swear I can feel Draco's breath on the back of my head as he tells the ingredients of his love potion.

'Almonds, jasmine, tuberose, and cocoa.'

Hey, babies, I hope you liked the first chapter. We start with a bit of a cliché situation, but I promise you that that's just the beginning. I hope that you'll stick with Ocean Eyes and Draco's and Nessa's story. <3