Chapter 12: Invitation

Nessa Black

'That was all for today, students. No explosions this time, that's some progress, right?', Slughorn raises his wand, and the liquid in the cauldrons on our desks disappears.

All of us begin leaving the classroom when his voice suddenly echoes throughout the room.

'Oh, I almost forgot. Mr. Potter, Mr. Zabini, Ms. Black, Ms. Granger, I'll be expecting you at the next Slug Club gathering next Saturday', he solemnly says.

We all nod. It's been a while since the last Slug Club dinner night.

'And don't forget to bring a partner', he adds.

At the same time, Pansy passes by me and brushes her shoulder against mine as if to tell me something that she couldn't say out loud.

She got discharged yesterday and we hadn't exchanged a word. Several awkward glances in the dorm and at breakfast, but that's all. I heard her talking to Bella while I was in the bathroom, but she got silent as soon as I went out.

Honestly, I am starting to get used to her fucked up behavior and I don't bother that much. Well, I am aware that it's been just two days since she is back so I am careful of making assumptions too early on.

I sigh as I leave the Potions cabinet and merge into the crowd of students, heading toward the North Tower.

The memory of the last time I attended Divination lingers in my mind, but it doesn't seem powerful enough to stop me from going this time. I can't sacrifice my reputation as a diligent student for whatever reason anymore.

***

I am the last person from our friend group to arrive in the Great Hall for lunch as I had to attend a brief prefects' meeting with the heads of houses because of an incident with a first-year Ravenclaw, who somehow managed to sneak out of the castle after curfew yesterday and reached the Forbidden Forest. Thank Merlin, Hagrid happened to be there and brought him back to the castle. The boy told Professor Flitwick that one of his classmates told him that there were unicorns in the forest which can help you reach out to your dead family members. Professor Flitwick explained to us that the kid had lost his mother just before coming to Hogwarts. He was currently lying in the Hospital Wing because of the shock of being caught. He was scared that he would be expelled, but of course, the school decided to make an exception for his case. Thank Merlin it was not me and Joshua taking care of the Ravenclaw Tower yesterday evening. The Hufflepuff prefects were the ones being scolded.

I was secretly hoping that Pansy would have left the table once I arrive, but not this time. She is still here and to my greatest surprise, she seems to be enjoying herself pretty much. She is discussing something with Theodore. Draco at her left looks irritated, he has partly turned his back to her and is finishing the food on his plate.

'Nessa', Bella exclaims and suddenly all heads turn in my direction as I take my seat.

'Hi', I mutter and rush into grabbing whatever food is left.

'Where were you?', Bella asks pointing to her left where Joshua Avery has just sat.

'There was an incident with a first-year Ravenclaw yesterday night', I simply respond.

'Who cares about Ravenclaws?'

Hearing her voice almost makes me choke on my pumpkin juice. I've almost forgotten what it sounded like. Normal Pansy's voice.

'He is just a little boy. It's a pretty sad story actually', I answer.

Pansy laughs out loud and I can't help but strike her with a deadly stare.