Chapter 14: Detention

Nessa Black

I was too anxious about the upcoming detention, so I skipped dinner and waited in the Slytherin common room for the time to come.

My steps echo in the empty hallway as I walk towards Snape's office. It feels darker and colder than ever. And it's always dark and cold in the dungeons. As I am already in front of Snape's office I stand there for a while as if something bad would happen if I open the door.

'Just do it, you, coward', I whisper to myself.

My hand grabs the doorknob and twists it.

The room is dark and many scents are bombarding my senses as soon as I step into it. There are shelves all over the walls, stuffed with vials, jars, and other containers with all sorts of potion ingredients.

In the middle of the chamber, there's a huge circular table. All the books, parchments, and cauldrons are neatly arranged in its center.

I spot Draco already sitting on a chair at the opposite side of the table, while Snape is leaning his back over the nearest part of it.

'Ms. Black, you've finally decided to come', he says with the most terrifying tone.

'I'm sorry, professor', I say lowering my head. 'I didn't mean to make you wait for me.'

He nods faintly and throws a glance at Draco behind his back.

'I already told Mr. Malfoy about your task. I would be glad to repeat it, but unfortunately, I have other things to take care of.'

Snape is already at the cabinet's door when he speaks again.

'I'll be back in an hour or two. Don't leave before I've returned.'

The door shuts behind Snape's back and leaves a deafening silence in the cabinet. I gulp and pluck up the courage to look in Draco's direction. He has his head resting on his hand. His face is slightly tense, two wrinkles appearing on his forehead. His expression seems tired and sleepy.

'So', I begin, trying to attract his attention. He slowly raises his head and looks at me.

'What are we supposed to do?', I ask.

Draco stands up and approaches me calmly. As he already stands close to me, he points to my left.

'We have to wash and polish all those vials.'

I look at the marble sink, hidden in the cavity between two cabinets. A whole mountain of vials is pouring out of it.

'We can take turns', I suggest, still looking at the overflowing sink.

'I'll go first', I say, glancing over at him.

A wave of relief illuminates his face.

'Thank you', he gulps and rubs the back of his head. 'I'm a little tired.'

I nod and give him a warm smile. I wish I could hug him right now, I almost forgot how mad I was at him for getting us that detention. Hopefully, I came to my senses faster than expected.

We part ways as he returns to his seat across the table and I come closer to the marble sink, rolling up the sleeves of my white shirt.

'Do you know what I care about?'

'You.'

I can't help but repeat the situation we had before Snape's class as I am slowly advancing with the cleaning of the vials. Things are going out of control lately. With Draco, I mean. I don't even have enough time to process everything. I am too busy with classes and homework and whenever I have time left I either sleep or I am too exhausted to reflect on my emotions. It would be way easier if I had a clear idea, or at least a clearer idea, about what was happening in my head and heart during the last month or so.