Chapter 3: Confessions

Nessa Black

I didn't exchange a word with Draco since the fiasco at the staircase of the North Tower. I was too ashamed of my behavior. As much as I tried to justify my actions with Narcissa's request, I knew that there was part of me that wanted to know what was going on in Draco's mind and what he was doing almost every night outside of the dorms, that had nothing to do with the promise I made to his mother. I saw him walking through the hallways of Hogwarts after curfew while patrolling as a prefect, but I didn't follow him, nor I exposed him. I would never. 'Because I don't want more points being taken from Slytherin', I used to tell myself. At the same time, I knew there was something other than that, but I still didn't know what exactly.

I'm finishing the last lines of my Transfiguration essay (this time, for real) when I hear chattering from across the nearest shelves.

'Could you please talk outside of the library?', I sound so moody that I want to slap myself.

The frizzy head of Hermione Granger peeks out from the gap between two volumes of 'Guide to Advanced Transfiguration'.

'Sorry', she tells with an unpleasant look on her face.

'It's fine', I wave my hand and start proofreading my essay.

I hear someone sighing, followed by rapid and receding footsteps. It must have been Potter or Weasley Granger was talking to. It's a rare event to see her in the company of other people. Not that it was any of my business. The only competition I had with Hermione Granger was in the classroom.

A sudden noise makes me look away from the parchment, and I swear to myself that if it's again Granger or someone else from their annoying friend group I am going to start a fight. This week was more than draining.

I lift my head and see the charming smile of Theo.

'Oh, it's you', I state.

'Were you expecting someone else?', he lifts his brows.

'No', I shake my head and fold the parchment. Enough for today, I don't need more signs.

'Pansy and Bella told me you were here. They asked me to tell you that they are already preparing for tonight's party and are waiting for you to join.'

I stand up from the uncomfortable chair and get close to Theo.

'Thank you for coming. I nearly forgot there was a party tonight', I say as I pass by him.

'Make sure you are on time. Blaise has been preparing it for a week now. He will be playing his new playlists', Theo tells me as we exit the library.

'Sure', I nod.

Not gonna lie, I am not in the mood for partying. But I will force my presence because I don't want to sit in my dorm and sleep on a Friday night.

***

'Come on, Nessa. I'm sure the common room is already crowded. We should go before everyone's wasted, so that our outfits receive the proper attention and envy!', Pansy is freaking out, while I am putting on some silver snape-shaped earrings and glancing at my reflection in the mirror for the last time.

Bella's laugh echoes through the room, but it can't be loud enough to silence the background noise from the party in the common room.