Chapter 18: Hands off my girl

Draco Malfoy

It's a gloomy and rainy Sunday, but it doesn't matter to me as I am no longer part of the Slytherin Quidditch team. There's a match between Slytherin and Ravenclaw today, but I can't even hear the noise from the Quidditch field. The Room of Requirement seems to have impressive soundproof walls. I don't mind, though. In the end, I have a bloody task to complete and the least I could get is silence.

I am resting on a vintage velvet couch next to the bloody cabinet I've been trying to fix for over two months.

My mind is a mess today.

It was the perfect occasion for me to work on the task as the whole school is out of sight, but my brain wouldn't cooperate.

It was a sleepless night. Not that I complain about it. I stayed at the Astronomy Tower with Nessa almost until sunrise. She was refusing to return to the dungeons and of course, I wouldn't let her stay alone at the tower during the whole night. So I kept her company. We talked, then she fell asleep on my shoulder and I played the role of her pillow up until 5 in the morning.

I would have been borderline mad if someone else was the reason for me not getting enough sleep. But as much as I try one thought or one look at her turns my whole world upside down, and I forget about every single negative emotion I have in my body. And I have a lot, let me tell you.

As I lay comfortably on the couch my eyes start closing, and despite my attempts to keep myself awake I seem to fail miserably.

***

'Why wouldn't you ask me?'

'Ask you what?', she slightly lifted her head from my shoulder in order to observe my face.

'Why I became a Death Eater', I responded, looking straight into her eyes. There was a part inside of me waiting to see fear, disgust, hesitation. But I didn't find any of these.

'I believe you had your reasons', she suddenly said.

'You have too much faith in me', I noted.

She smiled and leaned on my shoulder once again.

'I know', she confessed. 'But it somehow feels like the rightest thing to do.'

She did it too often. Leaving me speechless. Everything she did and said seemed so sincere and unquestionable, that I found myself unable to react. I was nowhere near accustomed to having people tell me the truth.

'I also have faith in you', I said after a while.

'And it's since a much longer time than you could imagine', I added after being met with silence.

'Nessa?', I asked and as soon as I tilted my head in her direction I saw her already sleeping peacefully.

I chuckled.

'I've seen that before.'

'But this time I'm not carrying you in my hands. It's a much greater distance', I added and looked at her for Merlin knows how long.

***

I woke up in the Room of Requirement at some point without any idea of what time it was. I left the room quietly and soon I started meeting students in the hallways. The sun was almost gone beside the hills on the opposite side of the Black Lake, which meant that I had a good several hours long nap. The students were already crowding the Great Hall for dinner and so I joined them.