Chapter 4: Secrets

Nessa Black

Yesterday I skipped dinner because I didn't want to interrupt my work at the library. Let me tell you that it was an awful idea to do so. I got drunk from just a glass of firewhiskey, which is not typical for me. I remember taking Pansy to the dorm, then talking to Draco about Merlin knows what, and after that going back to the dorm together with Bella. But all those memories are just a frame, the details are just a white impenetrable fog. I deeply hope I didn't embarrass myself. I have pretty decent party etiquette.

I have no clue when I fell asleep, but I opened my eyes with the first light of the day, so I suppose I haven't slept much. I fidgeted in my bed for an hour and finally had to acknowledge the fact that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. So, I did the only thing I was expected to do - eat.

I am almost running toward the Great Hall as if someone will take my delicious Saturday breakfast. My stomach is growling loudly, exposing my stupidity of not eating since Friday lunch.

I enter a half-empty Great Hall with the majority of the present students looking sleepy and lazy picking the food on their plates. The Slytherin table is the most desolated. I spot Draco's blond head in the section our friend group typically occupies. There's no sight of Blaise or Theo, and I left Pansy and Bella sleeping, so it looks like it's going to be an awkward Saturday morning.

I move cautiously to the spot and take a seat in front of him. Only then he lifts his head. His expression immediately changes from a frown to almost a toothy smile.

'Morning', I mumble and quickly grab a plate with scrambled eggs from the center of the table.

'Morning, Nessa.'

Thank Merlin I haven't started with my eggs yet, because I would have choked on them. I am seriously not used to hearing him say my first name. And besides that, the last time I heard him saying it was not a memory I would like to recall.

However, this time it sounds different. He doesn't seem angry, or annoyed. Our couch conversation must have been pleasant or at least bearable.

Or he just woke up in a good mood, which is honestly a very rare event since the end of our fifth year at Hogwarts.

Draco continues eating his porridge and the growls from my stomach remind me to start my breakfast as well. After a couple of minutes, I glance over at the blonde boy. He seems pretty comfortable unlike me. I actually love silence, but right now it feels utterly awkward and I even start sweating from the tension.

'So, did you enjoy it yesterday?', I ask. My voice sounds odd. What is happening to me?

His eyes meet mine as he answers. In the daylight, they are light blue, with a hint of greyness. They resemble the shallow waters of the ocean bathing the sand beaches of those isolated, but absolutely beautiful wild islands.

'Better than expected', he pauses for a second. 'You?'

I am lost in his eyes and I have to shake my head to gain back my consciousness.

'Oh, um...I guess I had fun. The whole night is sort of a fog in my head', I laugh awkwardly and finish the last pieces of food on my plate.

Draco chuckles and sips on some pumpkin juice.

'What?', I ask while fidgeting with my hands under the table.

'It's nothing', he cuts.

'You have to tell me', I insist and maintain eye contact with him despite it worsening my anxiety.

He suddenly stands up and leans closer to me across the table. I flinch and instinctively move back. His eyes are locked on mine, the smile on his face possesses a devilish hint.