Chapter 15: Best friend

Nessa Black

I run towards the dorms as soon as Snape turns back to his office and lets me do so. He asked Draco to stay a little longer because they had to discuss something privately. And this was a relief for me as I wanted to return to the dorms as soon as possible, without any distractions. And walking alongside Draco is perhaps the biggest distraction for me.

I enter the room and spot Bella painting her nails on her bed.

'Oh, Ness, finally', she looks towards me with a wide smile.

'I started thinking that you were kidnapped or something.'

I laugh as I get close to my bed and lay over it.

'Don't kill me for saying this, but it seems that you enjoyed your first detention.'

I can feel Bella's eyes on me, but I am not looking back at her as I am trying to keep a serious expression on my face.

'Enjoyed is kind of exaggerated', I say.

'Then what?', Bella asks.

I shrug my shoulders.

'It was not as bad as I expected.'

It would have been if it wasn't for him and you know it.

Bella chuckles and that makes me lift myself in a seated position.

'What? Why are you laughing?', I ask.

She smirks at me and shakes her head.

'I mean, I can't pretend I don't see it. I am your best friend.'

My heart starts racing in my chest.

'See what?', I can't hide the panic in my voice. Not from her. She'll spot it even before I've spoken.

'You. And him', Bella responds as she paints her toenail with a second layer of pink nail polish.

I suddenly start feeling dizzy. Why does it have to be so hard to talk about my feelings? It has ever been that way. I am always open to hearing about other person's emotions and giving them advice and support, but it's a total mess when it comes to me. I am so scared of showing my vulnerable, emotional side. Even to the closest people in my life. There has always been a barrier I've maintained in time. Should I break it now?

Bella starts talking before I collect the courage to do so.

'I don't want to force you...'

'Where's Pansy?', I interrupt her with a question, and at first, she seems kind of surprised.

'Oh, she must be in the boys' dorm with Crabbe and Goyle', Bella says.

'Zero clue', she adds as she sees my surprised expression, and we both laugh.

'So..', I begin as we calm ourselves down. 'You've noticed something.'

'I did', Bella noticed. 'You know me, Ness. I am really observant.'

'You are', I confirm.