Chapter 17: Just the two of us

Nessa Black

'Pure-blood'.

I enter the Slytherin common room, Draco is following me from behind. It was a silent walk towards the dungeons. We were both breathing heavily, keeping our distance, but eyeing each other from time to time.

'See you later', I mutter as I head left to the girls' dorm.

However, I am stopped by his hand wrapping around my wrist. I turn around waiting for him to say or do something, but he is just observing me. His eyes are locked on mine.

All of a sudden a slight smile appears on his face.

'What?', I ask.

'Nothing', he responds and lets go of my wrist.

'Take care. And don't ignore me.'

I flinch as he pats my head unexpectedly. He lets out a muffled laugh as he turns around, heading towards the boys' dorm.

I stay still for a while, watching his figure disappear in the opposite corridor, and reflecting on the past half an hour.

'The Slug Club party must have been super boring. As always.'

The voice comes from behind my back, and I know to whom it belongs.

'It could have been worse', I say as I turn around to face Pansy.

She has her hands crossed in front of her chest and the typical devilish smile on her face.

'I didn't know Malfoy was invited', she points out.

'He wasn't', I simply respond, trying to keep my head cool and not reveal any emotion in front of her.

'I see.'

I try passing by her to reach our room at the end of the corridor, but she suddenly grabs my hand, digging her sharp nails into my skin.

'Bloody hell, what are you doing?', I somehow manage to pull out my hand out of her grip and look at her, observing the expression on her face. She looks absolutely insane. Her jaw is clenched and there is a frightening twinkle in her gaze.

'I hate you. I really hate you, Nessa Black!', as she says that she opens her eyes even wider.

'Do you, Pansy?', I ask.

'I do', she affirms through gritted teeth.

I am staying silent at this point. I am completely clueless about what should I do next with her. To me, it seems that whatever I do would be wrong and misinterpreted. It seems that the bond between us has been broken forever. The damages to our friendship are irreversible. Nothing could help repair them. Even magic.

'You are a bloody traitor and a bloody robber', as Pansy continues talking I don't look away even for a second. I am observing her body language more carefully than listening to what she is saying.

'You took my best friend for a starter. Bella was my friend, mine! But ever since you came she was closer to you. Do you think I am blind or what? I've observed that since fourth year. But I didn't say anything. I guess I made myself believe that I could accept this somehow. Being a third wheel.'