Chapter 16: Heat

Nessa Black

'I still can't believe that you actually invited me', Theo says as we walk fast-paced towards Slughorn's office.

'What's so unbelievable?', I ask not looking at him for a slight second.

'Well, you know, you've rejected me so many times. It's..'

'I did, but romantically', I cut him off. 'You're still my friend and I love you so much.'

A deep sigh leaves Theo's chest and I don't know if it's because he's already tired of walking or he's just not satisfied with what he just heard.

'Yeah, right, friends', he mutters.

I suddenly grab his wrist and drag him into Slughorn's office as we are already in front of it.

It's extremely spacious and it smells good as always. Like a perfume of an old aristocratic lady. Not too strong, but powerful enough to invade your senses and stay there so that you remember it for a long time.

The fireplace throws lights all over the marble walls, especially the big circular table where the Slug Club members and their partners are already sitting.

'Ms. Black, you've arrived!', Slughorn's voice echoes out throughout the spacious room.

'Come, sit! Mr. Zabini and his beautiful partner have reserved you a seat next to them.'

I bow slightly and try not to look at the other students across the table as I find my way next to Bella. She is barely holding her laugh while looking at me.

'Calm down now!', I whisper aggressively as I sit down.

'Mr. Nott, I am glad to see you here as well. As you know, your father is an old friend of mine', Slughorn says right after taking a sip from his red wine.

'Yeah, I know. And still, it was not enough for you to accept me in the Slug Club, professor', Theo responds boldly and I spontaneously step on his foot under the table.

I've not brought him to embarrass me. I really need a break, not another nerve-racking event.

Slughorn clears his throat and observes the table with great pride.

'Mr. Potter, the Chosen One! Could you introduce your partner?'

On the opposite side of the table, Potter moves nervously and after throwing a quick glance at Ginny Weasley he starts talking.

'Yes, sir. That's Luna Lovegood...'

'A fifth-year Ravenclaw', the blond girl next to him interrupts him. Her gaze seems distracted, her smile emits satisfaction.

'And a daughter of Xenophilius Lovegood, editor of the Quibbler magazine', she pauses for a second and then continues. 'Have you ever heard about the crumple-horned snorkacks?'

The smile on Luna's face is too sincere to be true. I really like Luna Lovegood. In a parallel universe, we could possibly be friends.

I can't help but laugh silently as I see the confused face of Slughorn and the embarrassment on Potter's expression.

'I am afraid I haven't', Slughorn finally responds.