Chapter 10: Words are poison

Nessa Black

The Great Hall was suddenly filled up to the top with students waiting impatiently for their Monday lunch. Chattering and laughter infused the atmosphere, but they didn't annoy me as I would expect several minutes ago. The rain really helped me ease the tension stuck in my body. I wouldn't say I am in my best form right now but at least I feel way better than in the Divination classroom which is a huge progress after all.

A wave of relief goes through my body as soon as I see the tiny figure of Bella approaching our side of the Slytherin table. I am already finishing the special chamomile tea of Professor McGonagall and munching on some cheese muffins when she seats next to me. Seconds after Theo also sits on the opposite side of the table.

'Hi, Ness', he says. 'You skipped Potions?'

Theo raises his eyebrows waiting for an explanation. I can feel Bella's fingers intertwining with mine under the table. I glance at her for a second and she winks barely noticeably.

'Yeah', I mutter. 'I didn't wake up on time.'

He nods and starts eating with the voracity of a real beast.

'Well', Bella begins. 'You didn't miss anything. Ron Weasley messed up his potion so badly that we lost more than half of the whole lesson.'

We three burst into laughter and I feel more alive at least for a while. Then the spark disappears. Again.

'At first, I wondered why he even signed up for sixth-year Potions, but then I remembered that I was also there', Theo manages to say after gulping a big chunk of his ham sandwich.

'Yes, Nott, you're a complete disaster at Potions', Bella admits.

A deep sigh leaves Theo's chest as he decides to skip replying. All of us knew why he chose to sign for Potions. I was the reason. He wanted to spend all or at least most of his classes by my side.

'Where's Blaise by the way?', I change the topic of our conversation.

'Oh, he feels sick today. He's in the dorms', Bella responds and takes a sip of water.

I can see her glancing over at me with my peripheral vision.

'Malfoy also didn't show up today. It was just me and Nott struggling in Slughorn's class against all the Gryffindors', she pouts and demonstratively rotates the fork in her right hand.

'You had to wake me up', I say in my defense.

Bella shakes her head.

'Absolutely not! I just couldn't do it this morning. You looked too cute!', she reaches for my cheeks and squeezes them.

'Ouch!', I manage to escape her strong grip.

I see Theo barely holding his laughter and I punish him with a deathly stare.

'Sadist!', I condemn.

His face suddenly adopts serious features.

'Ouch!', he mimics me.

I roll my eyes in irritation and stand up from my seat.

'I'll go visit Pansy in the Hospital Wing', I announce.

'Wait, I'll come with you', Theo says, but I cut him off.

'No, I want to go alone.'

He gives me a suspicious look and then proceeds to devour the big portion in front of him. Bella grabs my wrist as soon as I pass by her.

'Are you sure?', she whispers.

I nod and head to the exit of the Great Hall. I hope I sounded confident because, in reality, I am nowhere near that.