Chapter 19: Incident

Nessa Black

Pansy was suspiciously calm and silent after our world-known argument in the dungeons. I asked Bella what exactly happened while I was away with Draco on Saturday night, but she didn't tell me anything in detail. From what I heard she put Pansy in her place in front of the all the Slytherins who were out of their rooms on that night. On my way to Potions class I could see some people staring here and there but as soon as they saw me noticing them they made sure to look away as soon as possible. I guess I am safe, for now at least.

I kind of slept in this morning, so that's why I am almost late for Potions. Almost. As I enter the classroom I can see Professor Slughorn coming to the front of the class. As soon as he sees me a wide smile appears on his face.

'Good morning, Miss Black! Take your seat, it's okay, we're just starting with our lesson!'

I bow slightly and rush towards my seat in the Slytherin section right beside Pansy. To my surprise Draco is absent. Suddenly a warm hand grabs mine under the desk.

'Blaise told me that he went out of the dorm quite early today', Bella says as soon as I turn my head towards her.

'What do you mean?', I whisper so that we don't attract too much attention.

'Draco', she clarifies.

'I know you're looking for him. It's so obvious', Bella giggles and lets go off my hand as Slughorn starts explaining the topic of today's lesson.

I try to steal a glance of Pansy on my right for a second and I quickly scan her figure. She seems too laid back to be honest. And too concentrated into Slughorn's presentation. And Pansy is never interested. She never pays attention in class. Something's fishy here and I just know it, but I am so tired of trying to decoding Pansy's behavior. I just let it go and try to listen to Slughorn as he's constantly looking at me so I have to look as invested as possible.

'Now you may start, students', Slughorn says while walking beside the desks.

'Today you're working in groups of three. Your teamwork will be evaluated as a separate score', he adds.

'Shall we?', Pansy's squeaking voice pierces through my brain and I get goosebumps all over my body. I don't even bother looking at her.

'I'll go bring the ingredients', she says without giving me or Bella the chance to speak and disappears from sight.

'Is she sick or something?', Bella says out loud.

'I wish I had the chance to read her mind', I answer.

Pansy returns soon with a bunch of vials and jars and in a second we're already preparing our potion. It feels very awkward because the three of us don't talk quite a lot except for some occasional word here and there concerning the potion.

'Didn't you put too much of the mandarin duck feather?', Bella suddenly asks Pansy.

She immediately shakes her head.

'No, it should be perfectly fine.'

Then out of the blue she starts talking to me.

'Nessa, could you please stir it up instead of me for a while. I seem to have forgotten bringing one of the ingredients.'

I nod ignorantly and take the stick while she goes straight to the storage room.

It's been not more than 30 seconds when suddenly the liquid in the cauldron explodes into my face and my vision is completely blurred. The potion is not too hot, but it still leaves a burning feeling on my skin.