Chapter 7: Guilt

***

TRIGGER WARNING: rude language, mention of suicide.

***

Draco Malfoy

I'd spent around an hour in the Room of Requirement when I was already finding my way out of it. It should have been the perfect time for me to actually work on my task as almost the whole bloody school was on a visit to Hogsmeade, but my head felt heavy, and it was completely useless to keep on trying.

I enter the Slytherin common room with the expectation of having the pleasure to spend the whole day alone in the company of the lake inhabitants only to be disappointed by the sight of Pansy Parkinson laying on my favorite couch in the room.

I snarl in annoyance and head toward the boys' dorm when I am halted by her squeaky voice.

'Why don't you stay here?'

I sigh rotating in her direction.

'Because I want to be alone.'

She clenches her jaw and looks away.

'You wouldn't if it was someone else other than me.'

I furrow my brows. She's slowly getting on my nerves and I'm not someone possessing an excessive amount of patience.

'Are you bloody mental, Parkinson?'

Her wicked green eyes fix on mine. I am unable to figure out if she's about to cry or kill me. I would expect both from Pansy Parkinson.

'I might be. Why, don't you like it?'

She suddenly stands up and rapidly manages to get close to me. I intuitively take a step back as she almost glues her body on mine. She seems absolutely out of her mind. I can't remember seeing her in such a state. Her lips are chapped and her pale skin seems dry and lifeless. There's something weird in the way she looks at me. Not the usual hopeless infatuation. It's complemented by an unfamiliar lunatic flame.

Merlin's beard, I swear I felt chills over my spine.

'Answer me, Malfoy', she says barely opening her mouth, gritting her teeth as if she wants to break them.

'I don't like it, Parkinson', my tone is sharp and cold.

Her maniacal laugh is loud and terrifying.

'Too bad it's all because of you', she eventually tells.

I feel trapped in the narrow corridor with her body so close to mine.

'Parkinson, I've never given you any hope. You know that', I somehow manage to remain cold-blooded. Internally, I'm burning.

The lunatic flame in Pansy's eyes slowly fades away. Her stare seems agonizing and desperate now.

'Why?', she bites her lip so intensely that a purple spot appears where her teeth were seconds ago.

I raise my brows in confusion.

'Why you never liked me?'

I roll my eyes in annoyance. I am not in the mood for such conversations. I have too much going on in my life anyways. I have no energy or patience to deal with Pansy Parkinson's shite. I've been dealing with it for six years now already.

Pansy suddenly holds the collar of my shirt, but I quickly push her hand away.

'Just answer me', she nearly screams in my face.