Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven
____________________________________

I can hear voices all around me. I slowly open my eyes, trying to adjust to the light of the room. "She's waking up!" A voice says and it sounds like Jordan...? My eyes finally open and I look around the room. I see Uncle Gray, Riley, Jordan and Levi sitting around me.

"How are you feeling?" Uncle Gray asks.

"It hurts." That is all I'm able to say.

"What hurts, Scar?" I place my hand on my stomach and I wince when I do. The room falls silent. Whispering can be heard around the room and before I know it everyone stands up but not Levi.

"We will give you two some time alone," Jordan says before leaving with the rest of them.

It falls silent as if Levi is scared to speak. I recall what happened in the closet. I don't want to remember but it's just all flooding back. I stare at my hands, waiting for him to say something to me. "You have been unconscious for two days." He says it so softly that I hardly heard him. I nod my head slowly. "When you first arrived they sent you back for surgery. You were bleeding internally, baby." I look at Levi but he stays focused on the floor. "And when you finally got out, they placed you in this room. I was the only one allowed to come back here. I told them I am your husband." I laugh a little trying not to cause pain. "The doctor sat me down and notified me of the news. The worse news that I have heard before." I can hear his labored breathing, his voice unstable. He finally looks up at me with tears falling down his cheeks. "You had a miscarriage.." Levi whispers to me.

The room starts spinning, I close my eyes in hopes to make it stop. "I was so mad, not at you, but at him. God, you didn't deserve this. I'm so sorry for not getting there sooner." He says, blaming himself for something he had no control over. I stay silent, resting my head on the headboard of the hospital bed. I hated hospitals. I still do. "When I heard the news, I left the hospital and Gray went back here with you, and the doctor told him what happened. I went to his house, Mikey Smith, and as soon as he opened that door I beat him to a pulp." That's when I noticed the bandages around his hands and little splatters of blood. I look at him horrified. "I got the address from the school system. Lottie, I was just so mad. He hurt you, he hurt our son." He lets out a sob and my eyes widen at him. We were going to have a boy? A baby boy. "And-and," He stutters, "I just kept punching until I couldn't make out who he was. I told him if he tells anyone I did that to him then I would kill him. His court date is in a week to see if he's guilty."

I sit there trying to control my breathing and crying. A baby boy. I always wanted my firstborn to be a boy but he slipped away from me. I'm happy that Levi beat him. Caused him the pain that I was feeling during it. Caused him the pain that I'm feeling right now.

"I'm sorry," I whisper to him.

"Lottie, you have nothing to be sorry for. I am lucky enough to be talking to you right now, baby. The bleeding was so bad that they thought you were a goner, but you pulled through. I knew you would. You have always been strong." He smiles at me through his sad eyes and I cry.

"I wasn't strong enough to protect our son, Levi. I could have saved him. He was just too strong, Levi." He gets up, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Scarlett, this is not your fault. It's Mikey's fault. He caused all this pain and suffering. Not you." His hands cup my cheeks and he places a soft kiss on my lips then my forehead.

"When can I leave?" I ask him hoping it would be today.

"In a week. They just want to keep you here for one more week before they discharge you. To make sure everything is healing right."

"I heard you were awake." A tall middle-aged man walks through the door I assume is the doctor. "I'm sure your husband told you the news?" I nod my head. "I'm sorry for your lost, ma'am." I mutter a thank you and he continues, "The procedure went smoothly, you are a fighter. By the looks of it when you're fully healed you can try for a baby again. This can take a few months and monthly doctor appointments to see how it healed and if you are ready to try again." Try again. The first was an accident.

It's been a few hours since the doctor left. We have been sitting here in silence. Everyone else left a while ago to head home, it is getting late.

"You should head home," I tell him, trying to reach for the cup of water beside me.

"I'm not going anywhere until you are finally home with me." he gets up getting the water for me. Levi did just that. Not leaving me until I was discharged.