𝒙𝒗𝒊. sixteen

༺❦༻

sixteen,
❝ AIM!

THE GROUP OF five were currently sat in the library. it was the monday after the showcase and recently a website called AIM ( America Instant Message ) just launched, meaning they could communicate through direct chats and chatrooms instead of emailing or calling.

the library was unsurprisingly empty, knowing middle school kids would rather wonder the halls or go hang and play outside- rightfully so. however, there was a reason that even the smart kids didn't want to study in the library.

because of the aggravating, life-draining, cold librarian: miss linda.

with grey hair so dull it could blend in with any of the school walls, glasses that act like a magnifying glass, and a permanent frown etched on her face with an equally quick witted voice, of course middle school kids would avoid her as best as possible.

the five teens all stood awkwardly in front of her desk, watching as linda stamped late library books bitterly. brandt, who stood in the middle, looked between his friends who all had impatient expressions.

he gestured forwards. "someone ask her!" he whispered.

the rest of them shared a look before collectively stepping backwards, making brandt the only person who stood out of line. his eyes widened, seeing his friends hold in their laughter.

brandt tried to go back into the line but dustin and alex pushed him towards linda's desk, catching himself before he crashes into the wooden table.

he looked up, seeing linda's stare piercing back at him. he cringed, taking a step back so there was a good amount of space between him and her desk. he scratched the back of his head, watching linda cross her arms.

"mister jackson, do what do i owe the displeasure?" she asked bitterly.

"uh, me and my friends wanna use the computers for a project..can we?" he pointed behind him, rocking back and forth on his feet.

linda's eyes narrowed as an uncomfortable silence fell upon them. brandt tried to avoid eye contact as he waited for an answer. 'okay, don't get too excited answering me now.'

linda reached for a pile of books from beside her and abruptly placed them in front of her with a loud thud, all without breaking her gaze on him. brandt pulled a weird face, looking at the five or six books in front of her.

"mister jackson, do you know what these are?"

brandt shrugged, "books."

something about her sudden smile made a chill run down his spine. he backed up the tiniest bit, looking at linda who's eyes burned onto his skin.

it wasn't until he noticed the pile of books in front of her that he instantly pieced it all together. his heart dropped.

his overdue library books.

it may not be that serious, but to linda it was like somebody murdering her entire family bloodline. people knew better than to have overdue library books, not wanting to feel linda's wrath of parent phone calls, lunch detentions and extra homework. to the trailview kids, it was like child cruelty.

brandt whipped his head around behind him, only to see the empty spaces of where his friends once were..and the library doors closing with a echoed noise that rang throughout the depressing room.

'well fuck.'

he turned his head to see linda staring at him, her bitter-sweet smile now gone completely. he chuckled awkwardly, "yeah..uhm.."

he didn't hesitate to run out of there, almost stumbling in the process.

THE FOUR FLED as quickly as possible, not wanting to be caught dead. did they regret leaving brandt with the creepy librarian? yes. but did they value their lives more? absolutely.

"fake ass bitches, that's what you guys are! what the fuck were you guys thinking leaving me with that witch?!"

the four watched brandt dramatically rant to them, repeatedly calling them traitors and backstabbers.

he ended up finding them at monique's locker since it was the closest. once monique watched him approach them and didn't hesitate to hold back his thoughts, she leaned against her locker with a sigh.

dustin had his arm draped around jaizen, silently recovering from all the running they did. the girl leaned into him slightly for the exact same reason, a slight smile upon hearing brandt complain.

"not our fault you had overdue books, dude." alex shrugged with a laugh, but stopped when brandt sent him a glare.

"are you done? i'd rather slam my head with my locker than listen to your constant bitching anymore." monique huffed, though she grinned when she saw brandt roll his eyes him annoyance.

"i'd rather you do, too." brandt replied with a sarcastic smile.

monique scoffed before opening her locker, getting her books for next period. whilst the three boys conversed between them, monique turned to jaizen. "hey, do you wanna come round mine after school? we can sign up to AIM on my computer."

"yeah, for sure. are you're parents cool with that?"

"of course! they'll love you. i can get my mom to drive us to my house." monique suggested.

jaizen frowned, "are you sure? i don't want to be a bother-"

"zen it's fine, trust me! you're far from bothering anyone." she reassured her with a smile. "even though that means no after school walk with dustin."

"oh yeah." jaizen realised, feeling a tinge of disappointment but pushed it to the side, knowing she's had and would have countless walks with dustin regardless.

she shrugged. "eh, he'll live." she said as the two laughed.

ׅ𖥔 ۫ iloveblondead speaks ! ⋄ 𓍯

AHH super sorry for the long
wait & the chapter being shorter
than usual :(( just wanted to put
out a chapter asap

the writing is so shit omfg i didn't
proof read either but i hope u guys
enjoyed regardless <3

༺❦༻