[Chapter: 27]

"I can't do it," y/n stated, fear evident in her voice.

"I promise you'll be okay," Ranboo said reassuringly.

After climbing the tree to retrieve Fran, who had somehow gotten up there after chasing a squirrel, Fran jumped down, leaving the queen up there alone. Thankfully, Ranboo was nearby and is trying to convince the young girl to come down without having to use his teleportation. "What if I fall?"

"Then I'll catch you."

"And if you don't?"

"Do you trust me?" Ranboo questioned, though amused at the embarrassed look y/n gave him.

A moment passed before she answered, "Of course... I married you, didn't I?"

"Then I promise to catch you," the king smiled, Fran, who stood next to him, barked in agreement.

Taking in a breath before exhaling, she began to make her way down from the obnoxiously tall tree in the royal garden. Placing her foot on a weak branch, it snapped in half, making her lose her grip, and falling back first to the ground.
Ranboo, keeping his word, caught y/n in the nick of time before she hit the ground. A relieved sigh escaped both their lips as he set her down, Fran jumping around them in joy. "Thank you," y/n said, patting his arm.

"Any time... but maybe don't climb a tree next time?"

Rolling her eyes sarcastically, she smiled at the king, nodding. She loved how much Ranboo cared for her before and after they got to know each other. She never found a moment where she could be annoyed or mad at him, except of course during breakfast when he mentioned how he woke up to her snoring one night and he had to cover his ears with one of the extra pillows. Sam piped in how y/n got that from him.

The mood changed when Fran began to growl towards one of the bushes filled with white roses. Confused, y/n inched closer, Ranboo directly behind her. Just as curious as her. Suddenly, emerging from the bushes popped out an orange and tan cat. The queen screamed at the top of her lungs, scrambling behind Ranboo as Fran continued to growl at it. Of course, Ranboo was confused at first before remembering creepers were fearful of cats. Chuckling to himself, he went over to the cat, and picking it up. "And where did you come from, little guy?"

The cat only stared at him in response. Nothing a caller on him with a name engraved on the small silver tag: Patches.

He belonged to someone who he couldn't think of. "Do you recognize a cat named Patches y/n?"

Her skin grew pale more than it already had after seeing the sight and hearing the name. "That...uhm... that's Dream's pet..." she replied slowly.

Ranboo froze. For a moment, and hell that moment felt like hours, the feeling of anger bubbled inside of him. The emerald, green eyes remind them of him. The cat narrowed its eyes at Ranboo before turning its attention to y/n. Patches managed to scramble out of the tall king's grasp, walking over to the girl. Once he rubbed up against her leg, she jumped, screaming as she ran towards Ranboo once again.

Heavy footsteps made their way toward the two, revealing Sam. He watched in confusion as Fran growled at the cat while y/n cowered behind Ranboo, who seemed to have mixed emotions about what was happening. Noticing the warden, his mood changed, happy to see his wife's father. "Hey Sam," he called.

Sam was reluctant but scooped up the cat in his arms. "Prime," he sighed in annoyance, "I hate cats."

"I'm surprised he hasn't attacked either of you," Ranboo said, gesturing to Sam and the girl behind him.

"It's the human in us," Sam replied, taking off his gas mask, showing the small smile on his face as it hung around his neck. "I'm aware this is Dream's cat... we'll take care of it until we figure out what to do."