Chapter One : Always Late

Tuesday 7:00 am

The sound of the alarm filled the messy room with it's usual annoying tone, sending loud and irritating signals to Grace's unconscious mind. She gave a loud yawn and held a pillow tightly up on her face tiredly, the idea of getting up seemed the most absurd to her.

"I wonder why haven't I got rid of that thing?!" She grumbled, her voice barely audible in the pillow that's pressed to her face.

"Job issues! " she thought absently, her mind still fighting the blurriness. "JOB!!" It struck her as she shot up , silenced the noisy alarm and got into the bathroom dragging her lazy legs behind. She let the warm water flow down her skin, running her hands through her wet blonde hair, cursing silently the need to work when she can sink in the warmness of her bed.

"Oh God! 7:45" she gasped, knowing quite well the consequences of that, grabbed her coat hurriedly and headed out.
Running along the pavement of the street up to the bus stop, she reached the bus luckily as it was about to leave and got in.

Grace panted as she stood facing the passengers who raised their gazes , eyeing her for some moments, before returning to whatever they were doing to entertain their ride. The moment she found an empty seat she threw her lazily-stiff body on it and took out a piece of paper from her bag. Her lips twisted in thoughtfulness, and after a moment or two of hesitation on proceeding with the bad habit she gave in and kept on shredding the paper into tiny pieces.

"Running late, huh?!" Spoke a manly voice near her ear, noticing the torn pieces on her lap

"Oh God, yes! I pray my Boss hadn't noticed yet" She uttered fearfully, genuinely hoping for it.
Biting her lower lip, she glanced down at her classy watch on her wrist, following the seconds' arm circling restlessly.

"It's a habit, I assume?" The guy knitted his brow

"Ah yes! Actually, I never arrived early. Maybe that's the reason why I feel I may be fired soon" She laughed sarcastically, knowing deep that this may be true. She turned her eyes back to the window beside her and stared at the quick-passing trees, imagining what the moment will be like when the word "fired" will be spoken out of her boss's lips.

"Won't blame him" The man shrugged carelessly, looking ahead of him

"Excuse me?" She glared shockingly at him, feeling the anger rushing to the surface. Who is he to judge her?

"Well" he pursed his lips "Having an everyday-late worker isn't a fond of mine, you see" He shot her a silly smirk, yet he was replied to by an angry scowl

"Oh thank you, but I guess I gotta go by now Mr..." She stopped momentarily, rolling her eyes before saying as she held her bag "Never mind"

"ERIC , CALL ME ERIC" His voice rang in her ears as he shouted from the window the moment she departed. She rolled her eyes once again to his ignorant attitude and made her way to the entrance of 'The Hailey's' building.

Clicking her heels confidentially along the hall, she was stopped by the call of an acquaintance. She turned heels with a drawn smile on her lips when the figure of the 'handsome guy from work' stood before her

"Grace" the man said, raising his eyes from the folder he held that absorbed almost all of his attention

"Yes?" She replied sweetly, eyeing him

"Mr Robinson wants you at his office" he said before giving her an innocent smile and walking away.

"Damn" whispered Grace under her breath. She glanced at her watch again and her heart sank. Fifteen minutes late, again.
She entered her shared office , throwing her bag on the desk in frustration and pulling out her glasses.