Chapter Thirteen: They are lying?

Grace placed her thumb and index fingers on her eyebrows in frustration.

"Have you asked him?" Daniel spoke softly and sympathetically

"I did" she whispered " But got no definite answer"

"He said?"

"He kept on diverging from an answer. He just kept saying..." She raised her eyes to meet his without completing her sentence, while Daniel kept on eyeing her questioningly waiting for her to go on. Grace closed her eyes for some seconds before continuing

"He just" she sighed "He just kept saying 'I think you are the funniest, smartest and most beautiful woman I've ever seen' and that is not the answer"

"And it does not satisfy you in any way?"

"No it doesn't!" She spit out looking at him, yet his unexpected smile stopped her from any further objections and gave her the feeling he meant something else.

"In any way.." she repeated then laughed slightly " It did I admit , if you are asking about that, but not what I need to know"

"You can always find another track leading to your destination. You should not repeatedly use the same method"

"We do not always have other tracks in life, mostly the same destiny occurs"

"You could choose which track to use leading to this destiny, and which one to lead after it"

"I had no choice... My life was only one track to me, leading to this awful destiny" she frowned

"You can choose the track after it. Did you choose one?"

"Ohh no I can't" she smirked bitterly "It just keeps on forcing itself over me"

Daniel pursed his lips for a moment the replied plainly
"Why do you think you had no choice in choosing the past track?"

Silence was rewarded. Grace wasn't thinking about the best answer, she was replaying all she went through and listing them down. All of her life passed in front of her eyes like a movie, and after watching it, it was time to narrate.

"My family died when I was 6" she started "I had no choice over that. The best place to go seemed to be my Grandmother's who took a grip of me and didn't let anyone take me away from her" she smiled to herslef "It felt homier at her house, but that's how old Grand mothers' houses should be! Cookies and food and generosity, we all get that from Grandmothers, we get care, and that's what I got"

"So I gather it filled the gap your parents' death left?"

"Yes it did" she admitted "I lived with Grandma for fourteen years and they were pleasing, until she too left when I was twenty" she played with her fingers sadly "I had no choice in that as well. Throughout those fourteen years, I was the silent kid at school. The shy nerd who sits alone and read books without talking to anyone or having a pretty face or the perfect colthes or the perfect hair" she laughed sarcastically "Until I met Catrina in middle school and we both became close friends ever since. She was one of the cheerleaders and was pretty popular in school, so sitting with her was something indescribable back then. We stayed with each other till the very end of highschool and entered college together. I cannot doubt that she was nearly the only friend I had, nobody particularly loved me, and however I tried, that wasn't a choice as well!"

"You could've changed something in yourself if that was the reason"

"I doubt it was" she smirked bitterly as memories flood back in her mind "I wasn't perfect, but at least I was me. I accepted who I was, and Catrina accepted me and soon after Chris did as well."