Chapter Seventeen: Missing Clues And A Shut Mouth

Confusion.

noun (uncountable)
- A lack of clarity or order.

* * * *

The fire had died out and the feathers were blown away, leaving only the burning distinctive smell behind.

Confusion

The dark mist condensing itself on Grace's walls of mind started to evaporate once again. Clearance of the images of the what occured began increasing gradually , and every image felt like a punch to the stomach. Her body laid helplessly in the embrace of the sleeping Eric by her side, while her face was dug between their bare chests. The sandy muffled hair covered most of her face, but there was enough space for her puffy eyes to watch the angelic face deep into a restful sleep.

"Dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead" she could hear the word over and over again, imagining the lips of Eric mouthing it to her followed by a psychotic laugh. What had she done?
"You gave yourself in, again" her mind protested vexedly. Alcohol was still running through her viens and blurring her eyes, yet her mind was fighting and backing the mist away.
Grace raised her hand, touching the face of Eric and smoothing his jawline. Could she be sleeping with a murderer? She wondered

Murderer

The word amused her and brought fascination to her dying soul. She is with a murderer, either where she lay, or where she works, or where she sits. At least, that's what the masked man said, but one often wonders...

Grace shifted her body to the left, noticing her clothes all over the fancy floor. She took them up and wore them with distaste, then her hair caught the slight breeze of air blowing from the ajar wall-sized window. The stars up high twinkled brighter than her eyes, defeating them after a long time of waiting. The used to be luster in her eyes died out the day Catrina died; she doubt that it shall ever grow bright anymore.

The game leveled up, and a more intense stage has come. The question was , is she playing the game or is she played with?
Freddie was dead and that was a fact that must be accepted, but why?
She had a motive, she was suspected, then she died!
Christophe was a suspect because of her, now why would he kill her!

"Erasing suspicion. If he likes her, why kill her?" Her mind snapped back
Suspicion, such a dreadful word accompanied by a dreadful feeling.
She questioned herself 'what was more important, knowing who is guilty or knowing who is innocent?'
The state of accusation and the state of innocence, both affect a person's life, and now that life is within her hands.

"That puppy" the word ran wildly in her mind, why will Eric be involved? Why kill Freddie?

The game is on, who's lying and who shall die. Is that it? Freddie should die?

Grace held her head with such force, hoping that that would compress the thoughts and store them in a locked place in her mind. Yet, with every bang of her hands, the voices grew louder and louder till the room was an unpleasant place to stand in.

Looking back at the stars, her thoughts carried her further away. She wished she would go back with time and enjoy ever minute before she would lose them all. She wished she could take Catrina away that day and none of this would have happened. She wished... She wished she would know who is behind this all , and why is he doing this to her?

Feeding the sheep before slaughter
Is that it? She will be the last victim... Her heart gasped loudly and collapsed between her ribs.

Her glances shifted again to lay on Eric's dreamy sleeping face. "How could such an angel be a murderer, if it was him..." She thought