Chapter Eighteen: Lie Discovery

The air felt unbearably cold in the blank dull space Grace was sitting in. Breezes of the freezing air crashed and scarred her skin harshly like she was naked despite her clothes, and even though she hugged her legs tightly upon her chest, security was the least feeling she held.

Water started crawling from every direction towards her, and with every second it piles up till it became an ocean ready to strike. The closer it gets the darker it seems, and within minutes the black ocean engulfed her and kept her within.

She didn't bother to struggle, she didn't try to breathe. Embracing her legs , she let herself drown helplessly.

Through her closed eyes and coldness she could hear a faded voice calling her, like how mermaids lure the sea drifters into the depth and drown them. The voice went on and on while her body swayed with the symphony it created in despair, until the words became clearer and a hand grabbed her viciously from the neck and brought her up.

"Graaaaaace?" Waved Christophe in front of her wide dazing eyes
Grace looked at him with an expressionless face, trying to comprehend where she was.

"Are you okay?" He stared at her questioningly, while she blinked several times and mumbled "I'm fine"

"I know it's a stupid question, you're not" he looked at her small body crouching and bawling itself on the couch then he sat beside her, "none of us is" he inhaled deeply "it's been a long week"

"How did you get it in?" She knitted her eyebrows in confusion

"Keys on the upper lining of the front door. You always put them there" he shrugged

"Oh. Yes" she nodded, still lost in thought.

Christophe took a glance around the house, still the same as he last came in there. He gave a weak smile , and his eyes landed on the opposite table that had a newspaper on the top of it.

"Could it be another victim?"

He pursed his lips tightly then returned his gaze to Grace with tired eyes.

"You read it, didn't you?"

"Yes.."

"You believe her?"

"About what?" Grace eyed him curiously

"Catrina" he gulped

"Oh" she widened her eyes " I don't know..."

"Freddie was killed Grace, this wasn't surely an accident"

"I know! What do you want me to say? Catrina was killed too? Who killed them? How can I know who and why and if they were killed anyway!" She yelled at him as tears threatened to trickle down her flushed cheeks

Christophe sighed and closed his eyes for some moments, then he looked at her once again yet this time with a harder expression

"You haven't told the officer about what happened earlier. Neither did Liam, neiher did I. We didn't because we didn't want to make any fingers point at you, Grace. I'd like to ask you why you didn't"

"Cause I didn't want any fingers pointing at me either" she replied coldly and quickly as if she had the answer prepared for such a question

"Why did you both fight? Did you threaten her, Grace?" He hissed in an angry voice "what have you told her?"

"I told her to stay away from you! God dammit Chris!"

"What?" He stopped shaking and glared at her