Chapter Fifteen: Starting A Game

Grace ran through the white hallways in panic. Nothing was through her mind except the haunting laugh of the masked man ringing in her ears, and the image of Eric laying with machines attached to him.

Nurses and people, all moving and talking like bees around her. All they do is buzz and buzz making it hard for her to concentrate or reach him.

"Excuse me" she cried for help "Please, there's a man that got here an hour or two ago? Eric Edwards? Accident?"

The nurse turned around with her baggy eyes and replied in monotone
"I am not sure he's the one or not. There's a man that got here an hour and half ago. At the end of the hallway, turn right and he'll be in the third room to your left."

"Thank you!"

Grace ran and followed the directions she was instructed. Her eyes tried to focus on the way in front of her and not to tear up. The moment she passed the second room and reached the third, she saw Rosa's head from the glass window set on the door. Grace grabbed the handle hurriedly and threw herself in, searching with her eyes for the machines around the white-sheet bed.

The first thing that Grace's eyes met was the red face of Rosa's. Rosa looked at her and gave a sigh of relief, like the heavens just brought them a miracle.

"Thank God you came!" Cried Rosa

"Rosa, don't enlarge the situation" whined Eric behind her. Grace's eyes quickly shifted from Rosa to Eric, afraid to see what she had imagined, yet she was shocked by what she saw.
A nurse was bandaging Eric's head, while he sat on the bed in good shape. He was smiling apologetically at Grace, holding back the winces from the fastening of the bandage that was circling itself around a bloody area on the side of his head. Grace's tongue tied up, she looked further down at his body and she saw few bruises and scratches on his arm and neck.
"No way such small scratches could be made from an accident. Seems to me it was either planned or he did it himself."
The words echoed in the back of her head. Painfully, he is right. The only serious thing that seemed to Grace was his bleeding head. What kind of accident was it?

"Don't look at me like this, I am fine"

"Oh sorry" Grace cleared her throat

"Don't worry, Miss" the nursed spoke "The injuries aren't serious. They'll all heal before you know it. Plus, Mr Edwards seems pretty fine"

Grace gave the nurse a weak smile and observed her as she finished bandaging and left the room, informing that the doctor will be checking on him soon.

"Who did that to you?"

"Who?" He gave her a side glance then he shrugged "I don't know, hadn't the chance of seeing his face"

"You didn't?!" Rosa's eyes widened "But I ..." She clenched her teeth regrettably

"You what?" Both Grace and Eric said in unison, before a knock on the door was heard and two men in black suits entered

"Mr Edwards?" The dark one asked

"Yes?" Eric narrowed his eyes at him

"I know it's a terrible timing, but we really want to discuss it all"

"Uh, can you give us a minute, please?" Hurried Rosa as she bit her lip

"Very well" said the dark man as he eyed them all then left the room with the other fair one.

"Rosa?" Eric's vexed voice was raised