Chapter Twenty Four: The Trial

Possessed (adj.): Seized by powerful emotions.

The state where you no longer have control over your consciousness or mind, you are only driven by emotions that possesses you soul.

When reality seems off, create another one.

–––——————— ————— ————— ————— ————— —————

A day earlier

"I am exhaustedly worried" he talked as if he's addressing only is conscious mind. "Everything seems vague and I can't line it all up, and when I attempt to do so it leads me to most unpleasent theories. I can't look her in the eye, I can't show my love anymore..." he trailed off "I always feel guilty, but then it's really hard to keep up my act"

"There's a possibility you are just being paranoid" Daniel spoke after some moments of uncomfortable silence

"Paranoid?" He laughed bitterly "It was her bracelet. I know what I bought for her birthday, Daniel. It's her bracelet alright"

Daniel lowered his eyes to his folded palms, pursing his lips with no words seeming to come out of them. Eric raised his irritatedly nervous eyes to his and the world fell apart in his sight. The perfectly happy-ever-after dream he built as a future suddenly felt like an impossible fantasy that's out of reach. He bawled his fists till the blood drained from them and said through clenched teeth "For God's sake Daniel! Please tell me you noticed something's off about it all, that there's a wrong detail, a peculiar thing about her. I can't be imagining all that!"

The sigh let itself out of Daniel in defeat. He knew Eric was reasonable for being so startled, for blurting out hastily in fear, for not being able to sleep at night and having all those terrible dreams. He knew Eric's right in every word he said.
He knew, because he felt it too.

Present day

Eric pushed his way through the crowd of people waiting outside the court, asking questions and taking pictures. He held his hand up his face, blocking the flashing lights, and hurried to the court room. They all arrived early for the trial, he realized so the moment he entered and saw a handful of people sitting and murmuring loudly. He dragged his shaky legs behind him to an empty chair, passing by Christophe who looked up with red puffy eyes at him in despair.

Liam was next to Christophe, shivering uncontrollably despite the warm weather. The blood rushed through his lips wildly and hotly between the strong bites he managed in hatefulness. He glanced at Eric momentarily before sneering with a sly smile and returning his gaze back to his nails that dug in his palms painfuly. Christophe gave Eric a pitiful, apologetic look before placing his hand on Eric's arm in consolation.

Eric's lips managed a weak smile, yet his mind was half aware of the whole world around him. He stumbled across the spacious room and sat on a chair near the front. For some seconds, he thought he was dreaming, that this was not real. He kept looking around him, waiting for some unreal creatures to appear, for some unexpected person to show up and tell him he was in the wrong place after all. He waited and waited, just one small evidence that all this is unreal, yet he got none.

Eric felt dizziness taking over his mind and his sight began blurring.

Why?

The question kept asking itself over and over, haunting him. Why ?

The air densed around him and his airway tightened that he couldn't breathe. His lungs struggled helplessly for air, yet the grip around his throat didn't seem to loosen. He was ready to stand, to run away from this nightmare that doesn't plan to reach an end. He was halfway through standing when Daniel held his shoulder soothingly and sat down beside him. Eric exhaled nervously and placed himself back in his seat, giving in to Daniel's pull. Although the murmurs that filled the room, the only thing both of them heard was silence, understandable silence with shared thoughts.