TWENTY-ONE: dinner dates

─── ·· ───

Practice felt longer than usual.

"Stop." Coach Yoon interrupted mid-way before telling them to make their way to her. "What is up with you two?"

Confusion struck both the pupil's faces as they didn't recall making any mistakes. Nor did they recall stirring any arguments prior to the practice, thus was not sure what she was talking about.

"I am only seeing, but i can't feel anything." Coach Yoon explained. "I doesn't feel sincere, there is no chemistry no nothing."

It was obvious the coach was not satisfied with their teamwork but something so intricate (emotions) are hard to feign.

"Stop thinking about what the next move is and rather, be in the moment. Emphasise with the song and each movement with each other." Coach Yoon suggested before collecting her folders. "Practice ends here today. I hope to see better tomorrow."

"Thank you Madam." Both figure skaters bowed down as they watch their coach leave.

"I don't get it." Meiyon admitted.

"She's telling us to be more in love." Sunghoon took a sip of water.

"Be what?" Meiyon was taken back by his direct response. "Why should we be more in love?"

"Do you even know what song we are dancing to?" Sunghoon shook his head in amusement. "Maybe not necessarily in love, but rather tension and chemistry between us."

"Oh." Meiyon contemplated on the feedback as she wondered how to improve. "Now that's going to be tough."

Suddenly, familiar faces were seen.

"Sunghoon!" The female ran pass the male who was initially leading the way. "I've missed you!"

It was Chaerin.

"Hey." Jake finally caught up as he greeted Meiyon who was completely ignored by the visitor.

"Oh hello Meiyon. Nice to see you again." Chaerin finally acknowledged her presence as she deattached herself from the unrequited hug.

It was explained that Jake happeneed to be the one Chaerin had asked for directions to the ice rink. Despite not knowing her intention, Jake was too kind to refuse thus led to this situation.

"What brings you here?" Sunghoon was definitely surprised by her visit. He assumed that becaue he had ended the conversation, that was going to be the end of their relationship. Her presence was very unexpected.

"Oh i was just around the area." Chaerin shurgged. "Any plans now?"

Sunghoon had suddenly turned to look at Meiyon who stood there awkwardly whilst occasionally chatting with Jake. "Are you busy now?"

"Hm?" Meiyon looked between the two of them. She wasn't really busy but she didn't feel like thirdwheeling today either. "Oh yeah, I need to do this assignment."

"So practice ends here?"

"Yeah." Meiyon got off the ice and went to take her skates off.

"Soo you're free now?" Chaerin who seemed desperate for an answer asked again.

"Yeah." Sunghoon finally replied.

"Sweet. Let's go out for dinner."

Jake who was skeptical for the girl's bold character silently sat with Meiyon before whispering, "I think she likes him, but i'm not too sure."

"I think you might be correct." Meiyon laughed along.

---

As Meiyon busied herself at the cafe with an assignment, she was suddenly disturbed by a figure in front of her.

"Is this spot available?" The male with a polite smile asked.

"Oh hey Sunoo." Meiyon shifted her books back to her side to make space for him. "You also have an assignment to do?"

"No not really." Sunoo sat himself down empty-handedly. "I just saw you alone and decided to greet you."

"Haha well hello." Meiyon laughed at his kind gesture. "I'm completing one of the assignments from an elective."

"Good luck with that." Sunoo gave a thumbs up. "It's so late now"

Sunoo was a first-year junior of hers as they shared one of their electives together. They weren't exactly close but from a past project they completed together, it was safe to say they were decent friends.

It was quite late now as she finally realised that the cafe was empty with one of the workers sweeping the floor.

"Have you eaten?" Sunoo helped Meiyon pack her papers into a binder.

"Uhh..." Meiyon tried to recall the last time she had eaten.

"Gosh Meiyon it's almost 8 pm and you still haven't eaten?" Sunoo shook his head in disappointment. "Let's go eat now."

"Have you eaten already?"

"No." Sunoo replied sheepishly as he knew how much of a hypocrite he sounded.

"I feel like sushi." Meiyon suggested as Sunoo opened the door for her to exit.

"Wow, I was going to say that too." He laughed as they began making their way for dinner.

On the other hand, as Sunghoon was driving Chaerin back to her dorm, he noticed a familiar face crossing the road.

Of course, it was familiar, it was the face of the person he had been thinking about all evening. Not necessarily in love, but rather annoyed at the fact she didn't care he was having a dinner date with someone else.

Maybe that was the reason she didn't care.

"Wait, Meiyon has a boyfriend?" Chaerin watched as the pair make it to the pathway before the light turned green again.

"I don't know." Sunghoon dryly replied before driving past.

There were a few things he didn't know.

He didn't know someone so reserved, would have friends beside her girls: Haera and Eva.

He also didn't know if her being busy was just a cover-up that she had plans with another male.

But for all he knew, Sunghoon was certain that he wished he was the one eating dinner with her.

In place of Chaerin, Miss Second Place, he had wished it was Miss forgetful yet so flawless; first place.

16/12/23 --> im alive.