TWENTY-THREE: be a prince

─── ·· ───

"I genuinely don't know how to feel about this." Coach Yoon tapped her head to get an idea. "It's perfect but at the same time, it feels so empty?"

The two skaters were busy catching their breath as they skated towards the coach. They weren't exactly on bad terms, but it wasn't like before. There was some sort of ...

"Awkward tension!" Coach Yoon finally figured out why it felt weird. "Why are you two so stiff in the air?"

"Sorry ma'am." Both apologised due to her dissatisfaction.

"No don't apologise." Coach sighed. "You know what, why don't you two spend some time together off the ice? You two are friends after all right?"

It wasn't a question but rather a suggestion.

"Dismissed for today." Coach stated before leaving the two behind.

The two of them knew she was right. Why were they so awkward anyway? Even their love-hate relationship was better than this eccentric vibe between them. The only way to fix this was to spend more time together and so, Meiyon decided to take the initiative.

"Hey Sunghoon." She called out to the male who was across her, taking his skates off.

"Hm?" He immediately provided her undivided attention as he even stopped tying his shoelace. "What's up?"

"Oh uh," Meiyon suddenly felt shy. It was odd for her to feel shy for someone who was used to being complimented and on stage. "Do you have plans later?" Her words came out softer than intended.

"Pardon?" He could not catch her question due to her decreased volume.

"I said," Meiyon took a deep breath. "Are you free later?"

From the moment she said the last word, another voice had overlapped hers.

"Sunghoon!" The girl with a bold personality entered the conversation. "Hey Meiyon."

Meiyon only nodded her head out of courtesy before looking back to Sunghoon. "I guess not." She forced a chuckle before making her way out.

Before Sunghoon could even stop her from leaving, Chaerin was already sat beside Sunghoon who had blocked his vision of his skating partner.

"What do you want?" Sunghoon couldn't help but let a bit of his agitation influence his tone. "Miss Chaerin."

"Don't be so formal." She giggled cluelessly. "How about dinner."

"Again?"

"I thought you enjoyed it last time."

Despite not wanting to attend dinner with her, he was too kind to refuse, especially when she had travelled all the way for him.

"Fine." He gave in and let her lead the way.

However, this time he was going to draw the line between them. He was going to make sure that they were only going to be at most friends. Though it sounded egotistical, he was going to disperse the interest she had in him.

---

"I've been seeing you quite a lot lately." Meiyon joked to the male who was in the cohort below her. "What's the matter?"

"Okay well, friends are supposed to see each other every two days." Sunoo sassily rolled his eyes which caused her to laugh. "I need love advice."

"You're asking the wrong person." Meiyon shook her head. "My past dating experience was horrible. Crazy ex was like an entire stalker."

"Oh wait, so you were the victim of the angry ex who made a commotion that Sunghoon got involved?" Sunoo's eyes widen.

"How could you know that Sunghoon was involved but not me?" Meiyon furrowed her eyes in disbelief.

"Gossips spread fast...especially when you're popular."

"That was humbling."

"No it's a good thing." Sunoo shrugged. "No one can talk shit about you."

"Perhaps." Meiyon agreed. "So is it about Saetbyeol?"

Sunoo had almost choked upon hearing the name of his crush. It was too obvious in Meiyon's eyes which made it almost seemingly adorable.

"How did you-"

"Okay, i heard her birthday was coming up." Meiyon cut his word off. "How about prepare a small act of service and taking her out for lunch? Then you can even buy her presents or surprise her with plushies. I heard she's a sucker for plushies despite having an entire room dedicated to them."

"Okay wow." Sunoo absorbed all the suggestions like a sponge. "You're good at this."

"Bare minimum bro." Meiyon laughed. "Just treat her well. Give her the princess treatment. It's every girl's dream."

"Yours too?"

"I'm no different." Meiyon surrendered.

"So who's the guy that has been giving you that treatment?" Sunoo smirked which surprised Meiyon.

What she hated the most was the fact someone in her mind had popped up the moment he had asked that question.

"No one." Meiyon partially lied. "Absolutely no one."

"Your eyes are telling me you're lying."

"If anything, I'm being treated as the other woman."

"So there is someone!" Sunoo clasped his hands together in victory.

"Dammit." Meiyon gently knocked her head for spilling what was running in her mind. "That was so lame."

"Not really." Sunoo shrugged. "But do you like him?"

No.

Yes.

Maybe?

"I don't know." Meiyon buried her head in her hands in frustration.

She hated how she couldn't decipher what she was feeling. Never has she ever felt so confused in her life besides that one complicated question in her final exam. Even during her previous relationship, she was sure as to what she wanted.

But now, she wasn't sure what she really wanted.

Did she like him or like him not?

Would it matter anyway?

Meiyon may have been first place in most of her life, but in such unusual instances, she was second. Or did she even place in his life?

Who was Meiyon to Sunghoon?

Suddenly, she felt a gentle pat on her head. Assuming it was Sunoo comforting her, she let him be. However, the voice took her by surprise. "So who's the guy causing you to lose your composure."

Sunghoon's voice.

"Oh what the fu-" Meiyon instantly jolted up but was interrupted midway.

"Language Princess." He emphasised the nickname more than usual.

"Sorry to disturb whatever this is." Sunoo stood up. "But Saetbyeol had clocked off! See you guys later."

Taking Sunoo's spot, Sunghoon sat himself directly across Meiyon.

"How long were you here for?" Meiyon tried to play it dumb.

"Since you admitted to being just like every other girl, Princess." This time hinted at a jist of mockery.

"So nosy."

"So who is the unlucky man that you like,? Sunghoon smirked in curiosity.

"Dream on." Meiyon scoffed. "It's not you."

"What a shame. I'm perfect." He laughed. "Well, good luck."

How ironic

18/12/2023 ---> got bit by a mosquito three times.