TWENTY-TWO: two teams

─── ·· ───

The usual triple was now a quadruple as Meiyon had invited a new face over to sit with her.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Sunoo." He introduced himself to her friends before politely sitting down.

Eva and Haera were friendly, thus despite being strangers to him, it didn't take them long to warm up to him.

As Meiyon and Sunoo immersed themselves in a conversation about a movie, Haera and Eva found themselves whispering to each other.

"Team Sunshine or Team Ice-Prince?" Eva whispered to Haera who was just as invested as her friend.

"Team Ice-Prince all the way." Haera replied proudly. In her eyes, Sunoo may be sweet and bubbly, but he wasn't balancing their duo dynamic.

Just as Eva was going to admit to which team she was on, familiar voices greeted the cafe area.

"Hey everyone." Jake waved optimistically before casually making his way to sit beside Eva.

Lucky for them, the cafe wasn't too busy today; spots were available.

"Oh? New face?" Jay noticed Sunoo's presence as he once again introduced himself.

Despite the little commotion, awkward gazes were exchanged between Sunghoon and Meiyon. It was strange because they did not owe each other anything, yet at the same time, there was a sense of guilt creeping up the back of Meiyon's neck.

Sitting himself down in an available spot, Sunghoon found himself beside Haera. Though they were never close, they were chill with each other.

"I didn't know you guys had another member in your group." He casually commented.

"Me neither." Haera replied. "First time seeing him."

"Oh." Sunghoon could only react. He wasn't sure how to feel about the sudden appearance of a boy that even her friends were not aware of.

"Do you feel threatened?" Eva, who was also beside Haera, playfully tapped on Sunghoon's shoulder to catch his attention.

"Why would i?" He furrowed his brows.

"What if he snatches her away." Eva gestured towards the direction of the two new friends that were laughing together.

Not really expecting an answer, the two were taken aback by his reply.

"He can try." He shrugged with confidence.

"See? Team Sunghoon for sure." Haera smirked at Eva who just gave a smile.

As time went on, Sunghoon was strangely getting bored of being on his phone. Usually, he could be occupied for hours but this time, he was distracted by the girl and his new male friend.

"Oh wait, I heard Meiyon and Sunghoon are performing during the festival coming up?" Saetbyeol brought up which caught everyone's attention.

"Oh yes, we are." Meiyon smiled. "Hope you can come watch."

"I definitely will! How is the practicing going?"

"Oh right speaking of practice." Meiyon shifted her gaze to Sunghoon who was already looking at her. "Are you busy later or do you have plans with your girlfriend?"

"What's the difference." Haera obliviously whispered to Eva.

"Wait- Bro you have a girlfriend?" Jay was shocked to hear the news.

"I don't." Sunghoon cleared up the assumption. "Chaerin isn't my girlfriend."

"Oh wait, the second place chick?" Eva's jaws dropped.

"The girl that asked you for dinner yesterday and you agreed?" Jake added more information than needed.

"You went on a date with her!?" Haera was the most shocked to hear the news. "Oh i am switching teams-"

Eva was quick enough to shut her up.

"Thanks, Jake for the details." Sunghoon forced a smile with a death stare. "It was just a friendly dinner."

"Mhm." Meiyon nodded. "So we have time to practice later right?"

"Why don't we go right now?" Sunghoon's tone was quite challenging towards her. "Oh, unless you have more plans with him."

"Not as many as you and Miss Second Place." Meiyon mirrored his tone.

"Guess we were both busy last night, hm?"

"Why don't we do less talking and more skating?" Meiyon stood up followed by Sunghoon. "I'll see you guys later." Meiyon, despite her change of mood, still remembered to politely bid her farewell.

"Time doesn't wait Princess." His tone of mockery pissed Meiyon off even more.

"Quit yapping you intolerable man." She made her way towards the man who was holding the door for her to walk out.

Despite this thick tension, Sunghoon somewhat felt relieved.

She was now back with him.

On the other hand, the rest of the group had only watched with wide eyes.

Perhaps in their head, they also knew there was more going on than just teammates on the rink.

Meiyon and Sunghoon knew too.

17/12/2023 ---> i should find a new job