FOUR

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

Blair's first month living alone in Seattle was interesting to say the least. Her first week, she had forgotten her I.D once and one of the other faculty members told her that if the door was locked to her own office, that it probably meant their professor was not in for office hours. 

She had to explain to the nice woman that she was the professor and it was indeed her office hours, but she forgot her badge that would buzz her in. So, she waited by the door instead in case any students came by to talk to her—none did—and had an awkward encounter with Professor O'Brien when he went to his own office just to see her standing outside her door like an idiot.

After explaining her dilemma, he invited her to sit with him in his office while he graded a set of general assessment papers that he had assigned in the first week to see where his students stood in terms of essays. They left his door propped open in case any of her students came by. Instead of grading papers, they ended up just talking about their own college experiences. 

She learned that he was only two years older than him and had gotten his education back at Trinity College Dublin in Ireland, and had been teaching at Pacific College for two years.

"Why Seattle?" she asked him.

"My girlfriend had been here," he said. "We met at Trinity, but she was from here. When we graduated, she moved back with her parents, and I got a job here to be with her."

"Had?" she asked, catching on to the tense he was using.

"Can't get past an English professor," he noted to himself, a half smile on his face. "I suppose she's still around here somewhere, but we broke up a year ago. I like it here, though, so I stayed."

"Ah," she nodded, smiling. "I'm sorry to hear about your relationship, though."

"Water under the bridge," he said. "And you? In your interviews you said you were from Boston? Why Seattle?"

"My best friend is here," she said without really thinking, then cursing herself for actually admitting that out loud. She licked her lips, thanking the fact that he didn't actually know Jackson, and so he wouldn't make any of the assumptions anyone else would. "A surgical resident at Seattle Grace Mercy West."

He nodded, an impressed expression on his face. "A surgeon, impressive."

"Yeah, I'm very proud of my friend," a fond smile flashed across her face.

"What's his name?"

"How'd you know he's a him?"

"When people exclude pronouns and almost keep it vague like you, it's usually the case that they're talking about someone of the opposite sex and don't want the person they're talking to to get the wrong idea."

"You just see right through me, don't you Professor O'Brien."

"Declan is just fine, Miss Macaspac."

She smiled at this, leaning back in the chair. "Blair is just fine, too, then."