TWENTY SEVEN

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

"He hasn't left her side."

Ophelia stood outside Blair's hospital room, peering through the door. Her arms were crossed and she looked at the shorter woman next to her.

"Of course he hasn't, have you ever seen him leave her side in the past twelve years?" the sass in her tone, the slight upturn of the corner of her lips, and the raise of an eyebrow as she stared inside the room as well with crossed arms.

Jackson Avery didn't even notice who was standing out there.

He was too busy holding Blair's hand, feeling overwhelmed with different emotions. He was relieved that she made it out of the surgery, but now he just wanted her to open her eyes.

There was no sign or reason to believe she wouldn't, but he just really needed her to do it already. He just needed to see her eyes. He needed them to look into his. He knew with the thoracotomy and the gunshot wound, her body would likely let her sleep for a while to recuperate before she finally woke up. 

He was also already thinking about her post-operation care. She would likely be in the hospital for about a week, but recovery from a surgery like hers could take weeks to a couple of months.

"Well, I can think of one very big time he left her side," Ophelia joked, earning a 'are you serious' expression from the one and only Catherine Avery. 

Ophelia just chuckled, "But of course, leaving to be a surgeon doesn't count."

"Damn straight is doesn't count," Catherine shook her head and sighed. "Look at them. They're the same as they've ever been."

"Blair asleep and Jackson sitting there staring at her? It's like watching their sophomore year selves in my classroom all over," Ophelia agreed. "Any word on the um... the assholes."

"Oh, please," Catherine waved a hand, shaking her head. 

"And we're supposed to what, just... just let it be this way?" Ophelia questioned.

"I offered them a lift on my jet," Catherine shook her head. "They said they haven't spoken to her since she moved out here. I don't know if its pride or fear talking, but if they can't see past Blair's reasoning for taking the job here or past their opinions on the Avery family just to... be here for their daughter at a time like this, I'll save my breath on trying to convince them otherwise. I will come in their place. I'm an overbearing mother myself, but I'd never abandon my child just because they decided to move in the name of love."