CHAPTER 11『AMOUR』

"...then Theramenes proceeded to sit symposium-style down on the ground with the infamous Conium liquid on his cup, playing games with the poison."said Aurelia , mildly chuckling, sitting with one of her legs crossed on a decorated with flowery patterns couch.

"The guards just stood there and watched him. They asked him to get over with his death sentence, or they'd make him drink it. Theramenes, being the playful soul he always was, toasted to his executioner and former friend, Creteas. 'Cheers to the beautiful Creteas!', he said, before drinking the Conium."said Aurelia, with me letting out a chuckle.

"...cheers to the beautiful Creteas.."I said, trying to elegantly suppress my laughter.

The guy sounded like he was having fun, even when coming face to face with death. The balls on this man! Playing games with his poison, throwing vulgarities at his former friend, this guy became a legend.

How can I not laugh? It's a good story I've never heard before. It has to do about the Thirty Tyrants of Ancient Athens after the Pelopponesian War. Ah, Ancient Greece will always have a special place in my heart.

I couldn't hold it in anymore, and neither Aurelia could. We just let our laughter echo in the empty luxurious living room. It's been a while since I laughed with someone. Now that I think about it, I don't really have any friends in this world.

"Just picturing it makes me want to laugh! 'Cheers to the beautiful Creteas!', ha! The guy is a legend."I said, casually drinking my tea. Not any kind of formalities or anything. Just typical girl talk. Well, if you except the fact that we're laughing at a guy who landed the best one-liner before he died.

We just took our time laughing together. It isn't anything special, just two girls enjoying themselves.

"Ah, it feels good when I can drop the archaic pronouns. Thee this, thy that; I feel strange when I do that though..."said Aurelia, bringing the cup of tea on her red, skinny but still beautiful lips.

"I wholly understand what you mean. The Imperial Palace can be exhausting sometimes. You always need time off from it."I said, chuckling again with her.

"Oh, really? So that's why you were exiled, then?"said the witty Aurelia, before the two of us resulting again to laughter.

" 'Tis* nothing but a vacation."I said arrogantly. ('Tis= archaic literary abbreviation of 'this is')

"Oh really? Confident, are we?"she said, in her fox-like manner.

"After I share with you my plan, I'm sure you'll agree my return to the Palace is only a matter of time."

"Is that why you chose to keep the Tagmata here? They're here to kill you. Even under my supervision."

"The reason I let the army stay, is because I wanted to talk to you."

"Talk? Engage in parley? I might not want anything to do with it, you know."

"I think you'll be much more entertained than annoyed. Ignorance is bliss, only when your head is standing firm glued to your neck."I said, trying to be more passive-aggressive.

Aurelia was just silent. She couldn't keep it in. Her laughter; I was mesmerised by it. But this is no place to drool over someone's elegance.

"Oh, that was a good laugh! Yes, I almost forgot! You're the Evil Princess alright!"she said, bringing the tea to her mouth again, relaxing more in the process.

"Alright then. May I hear your malevolent scheme then, Your Imperial Highness?"

***

"...ok...wow. I, uh...am rendered rather speechless."she said, looking at me like an extraterrestrial.