CHAPTER 15『PALACE』

Such a satisfying sound came from the steak I put my fork into. It was this texture, this kind of mouth-watering sensation that one without culinary expertise cannot grasp.

And of course, oh dear, as if I am a culinary expert. Out of instinct and hunger, I am just really keen on enjoying the food on my plate.

A glass of wine was next to this old man who's supposed to be my uncle or something. I've never understood the lineage of the Imperial Family and I've never gotten to grasp just how many relatives i have. I have to reach a bottomless level of boredom to allow myself to waste some of my precious time in my life.

I have better things to do.

Grabbing my wine, the servants behind me poured a little wine to fill it so that I never see my glass empty. It is considered rather rude to find your glass empty. It is a sign of disrespect from the host, so it almost never happens. But if the servant is incompetent or something, then things get...rather tricky.

What's the worst punishment punishment that i've carried out to a servant who screwed up last time? Oh yeah, I probably beat them up. Or make them lick my boots.

Following the death of one of my allies in the Imperial Court, Lady Anastasia Ylva, the daughter of prominent nobles, I am left with approximately my parents' supporters, and the families of my friends from the Odeon.

This was a catastrophic month for me. It may be the one in which I've received the most losses in the span of a year. Kicking Vespertite out of the Palace only made her stronger for some reason.

The steak bled, as I pushed my fork further in. Calm down, myself. Right now, I've put the Headmaster of the Odeon to handle the job; send in the best student he has for the job. Someone with a lot of...firepower.

I elegantly cut the piece of meat, pushing it into my mouth, laughing with the whole group in the table for an unknown reason. I wasn't paying much attention to what the adults were saying.

It was medium rare: just how I liked it. That's why it bled. It wasn't so much that I liked how it tasted, but I sure love the texture. Primarily because it fulfils my sadistic side, watching the blood flow out on my plate, and also because of its soft texture.

Yes, I have issues, but I don't let other people see them. Otherwise, they'd use them against me. And then I'd have to kill them. It's such a hassle, really.

I brushed the blood from my lips using a handkerchief. Just then, father let out a cough in the table. Something has been attacking his lungs for a while now; each time I see it triggering, I cannot help but visualise my coronation.

Father is now old. Old men die. That's how it goes. Oh, is it wrong to get excited each and every time Father aches?

Enough about that, Aristea, relax. Others will see under your mask if you push it too much. A servant came in with a small paper bag on their hand and a cup of water, pouring the white powder it had inside the said paper bag.

"Your medication, Your Highness."

The servant bowed down to me, and I took the cup from her hands, using both of mine. I thanked her, and drank it quietly.

I should take this more often. Otherwise, I'll end up killing Father, and that won't be really nice, you know. It feels wrong killing the one who birthed your fabulous self.

My mother helped him calm down, patting his back.

"Don't worry, dear. Let's pray to Jesus later. It'll be alright. It'll calm down."

Ah, my mother. So beautiful. So elegant...and at the same time, so extravagant. She usually is close to the people, an extraordinary trait for the Imperial Family to mingle with the matters of plebs.