CHAPTER 13『BATTLE』

I could see the horizon of hazes red, up from my warhorse. The chilly wind brushed against the skin of my face. My muscles twitched in an attempt to produce heat.

"I hope this isn't too much for you, Your Imperial Highness!"said the ever so annoying General Fyrd, with his horse, galloping next to me.

The army carried on behind us, many thousands of men marching across the unforgiving mountains.

"Do you want to explode, General?"

My voice bounced off the stone, snowy slopes of the peak, the entire army hearing my shout at one point.

I tried to sound as intimidating as I could, but the man just smiled at me.

"I'm just worried about you, Your Highness. I was sent here first and foremost to guarantee your safety."

This sly smile again! I wanted to talk back to him, but the band from behind us started playing louder. It was the entry of the "Speculatores", or Scouts in normal people's tongue.

"Your Imperial Highness, General Bernadotte! We have received word from Eschata! It seems the Barbarians have been repelled once again! We don't know how much the nearby outposts will be able to hold them for much longer!"

The music began to quieten down, allowing me to speak freely.

"Then we march there as soon as we can. In two days' time, I'm sure we will arrive to defend our borders from those brutes."

"Oh, I love it when you get patriotic! It's just like I get to discover a wild side from you I haven't discovered...yet."

Besides the General and the army, there was this girl who alone herself could be called an entire company of elite Magic Troopers. Aurelia Taliesyn.

Daughter of Augustus Taliesyn, a man of legendary status at the Border Guard and the Imperial Army in general. He is supposedly the best Urgish Knight in our disposal right now.

I have to say, his daughter is scary strong. The first time I witnessed her aura, I thought she had come here as an enemy. To be accurate, she technically did, until she fell for my charms.

I don't really know what our relationship is about, but I know we are a thing of some sort. I did say I wanted to conquer the world with her. And I also slept with her. Literally. We didn't engage in any kind of sexual acts, as this would have been pure debauchery of my status.

But I do like her. I wouldn't mind doing that sort of thing in the future.

"You're thinking of something dirty, aren't you? You're reddening, even though it's minus 30 degrees up here."said my partner.

I quickly dismissed my blush, smiling at her as normally as I could.

"What are you implying, dear Aurelia? Some kind of...naughty innuendo, perhaps?"

"I don't know, you tell me."

The band started lowering their sound. But no one really announced their presence next to me. I didn't send other scouting parties either.

The world around me seemed to froze. It was some weird intuition that screamed inside of me, lighting my whole body up.

"This..." I tried to reason with my instincts, but my gut was totally going nuts now.

"Stop! Halt! Don't move!" I screamed an order so unnatural to the ears of the fired up men, that had trouble following up what had I just said.

The army came to a halt.

"Huh? Your Highness? What might be happening? Has a problem arisen?"

I didn't pay any heed to either Aurelia nor to General Fyrd, who was galloping increasingly more and more close to me.