31. New Introductions

A group of girls walked past them. They chatted in ushered voices and frequently burst into excited giggles as they congratulated a girl. Eleonora looked up from her book. Her gaze followed the group as they continued to converse excitedly even after taking a seat by the far corner of the library.

Eleonora groaned. "Ugh this entire school is just plagued with yule ball fever. Is there really nothing else that's exciting in life?"

Hermione looked up, a smile growing on her face.

"No one asked you?"

"I don't need anyone to ask me because I'll be going alone".

"Right. No one asked you". Hermione bit her lip as she smiled, turning her gaze back to her book.

Eleonora sighed and dropped her hands on the table in defeat. "Am I that repulsive?"

Hermione turned to the girl, shaking her head. "You don't get it. There's plenty I've seen who has a thing for you. They're pretty much gawking. They're just too", she paused.

"Scared?"

"Conflicted", Hermione completed. "To ask".

Eleonora slumped in her seat in defeat.

"Right. That makes me feel a whole lot better you know".

"Sorry". Hermione shrugged, flashing an apologetic smile. She glanced at the girls once before resuming to read her book.

"You're really flirtatious though. You know that?", Hermione narrowed her eyes at the girl, a teasing smile on her face. "I assume that's what you picked up from Beauxbatons", she chuckled.

Eleonora grimaced at the thought. "The Veela charms!"

She groaned, shaking her head in embarassment. "It's not on purpose! It just comes naturally".

"I can see that", Hermione agreed, chuckling at the girl.

"That doesn't mean I'll have anyone to go with, especially when you said that everyone's too scared!"

Eleonora sighed and continued to watch the group of girls. The bitter truth started to sink into her. A Hufflepuff seated a few tables away immediately turned his gaze away once Elen caught him looking and Fawley could only roll her eyes.

"What about Cedric?", Hermione asked, her gaze still on the book.

"He's asked out Cho", Eleonora answered.

"Who?"

"Some Ravenclaw. Pretty".

Hermione hummed in reply. She turned a page and shot Nora a glance. "I figured you two would go together".

Eleonora sighed. She rested her face on her palm and played with the edge of a page. "To be honest. I thought so too".

"As friends goddamnit", she added as Hermione's face lit up.

"Maybe he thought you already had a date", Hermione attempted to reason.

Eleonora shrugged. "Maybe".

"Hello".

The two looked up from their books. The sight of the boy standing before them earned an exchange between the girls.

"Hermy-own-ninny right?"

Eleonora snorted but she was quick to cover it up as a cough. She looked away as Hermione nudged her side.

"Yeah", Hermione replied, smiling at their intruder.

Eleonora looked up to meet his gaze, returning his smile. She glanced at the girl beside her and pursed her lips.

"Viktor right?" Eleonora turned to the boy and extended her hand. "Eleonora".

Krum accepted it and the girl rose from her chair. She smiled knowingly at Hermione and Nora's brows shut up in excitement.

"Well Hermioniny", Eleonora emphasised on the name, stifling her laughter. "Why don't you introduce yourself and I'll be heading to the reference section okay?"

Eleonora did not waste a moment. Despite Hermione's mumbled protests, she was already out of her seat. She nodded her head at the boy as she walked past him and made her way behind a shelf. She poked her head out a second later and smiled. Hermione shot her a look as Viktor took a seat with his back facing Eleonora.

"Hey".

Eleonora whipped around at the voice. The Durmstrang boy, who she had seen with Viktor before, waved her over and the girl gladly took a seat next to him.

"Am I correct to assume that your friend is interested?", Eleonora questioned, craning her neck to get a glimpse of her roommate.

"Yeah, Viktor kept hanging out in the library just because he wanted to see Hermioniny", the boy replied, also staring at the duo across the room.

"I've noticed", Eleonora replied in an excited whisper. "And it's Hermione", she corrected.

The Durmstrang boy nodded and turned to the girl beside him. "I'm Nikolay. I've seen you around here".

"Eleonora". She turned to the boy with a smile. "Yeah, I've seen you too. You're always with Krum".

The two sneaked a glance at the couple ahead. When Viktor turned around, the duo averted their gazes. Eleonora brought her palm to her mouth as she tried to hide a smile and leaned in closer to the boy. Nikolay already had his gaze focused on her.

She looked up at him and a smug smile grew on her face as his eyes grew wide and he immediately avoided her look and leaned away.

"You shouldn't lean in so close", he mumbled, physically putting some distance between them.

Eleonora's smile grew wider. She rested her chin on her palm. "Aww. Did I make you uncomfortable?"

Eleonora gasped teasingly and tilted her head. "Do you like me Nikolay?"

The boy shook his head, sputtering in surprise. "Don't be stupid!"

Eleonora chuckled. She leaned away and smiled. "I'm only joking". The girl turned to the couple ahead. Hermione did not hold any grimace or shoot Nora any uncomfortable glances so maybe things were growing well between them. She couldn't help the smile on her own face seeing Hermione grin at the boy.

"Do you know that guy?", Nikolay asked.

"Hmm?" Eleonora turned her gaze to where the boy was looking. She nodded once she knew who he was looking at.

"Yeah. Malfoy", she turned to Nikolay. "Why?"

"He's been sneaking glances over here like I'm doing something wrong".

The duo watched the boy. His mouth was downturned in a permanent scowl as he scanned the shelf. Malfoy sneaked once glance at them and finding their gazes on him, he instantly walked away.

"Why'd he do that?" Nikolay leaned closer. He narrowed his eyes as he watched the boy settle down at a table.

Eleonora shook her head. She craned her neck to catch a glimpse of Malfoy. But he no longer seemed interested in them. She pursed her lips and turned her attention back to Hermione.

"No idea", she stated.

"Alright, since that's out of the way", Nikolay began. He placed his hand on the desk and turned to the girl.

"Would you do me the honors of going to the ball with me?"

Eleonora leaned back on her arm. She eyed the boy, scanning him up and down. "Are you asking me as a last resort?", she teased, biting back a smile.

"Well you see", Nikolay said. He sat up straight in his chair. "Viktor wanted to ask a girl and I don't have a date. But the girl's friend happened to be with her". He held his hands up in a conceptual see saw, brows raised in amusement. "So two birds with one stone".

Eleonora sat staring at him, a smirk growing on her face. "No".

His shoulders slumped in defeat. Nikolay crossed his arms and leaned closer to her. "Come on, I was only joking".

Eleonora glanced at Hermione. The two caught each other's eyes and Hermione smiled back as Elen winked. She turned back to Nikolay and pretended to think.

"Looks like I'll have to settle for the less attractive friend", Eleonora stated. A chuckle left her lips as the boy nodded in defeat.

"Alright I deserve that". He smiled. Nikolay let his arm rest on the top rail of his chair and tilted his head at the girl. "I'll take that as a yes".

Eleonora nodded, smiling wide at the boy.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she could see a blond stare at her. He had pushed himself off the table and was out of the library before the girl could perceive why he had thrown a scowl their way.