Ch. 22: Important Questions

Vegeta's boots echoed across the chambers leading to the king's throne room, each step ringing out with purpose. The few servants he did pass bowed in respect but he paid them no mind. Most were busy setting up the main area of the palace where the selection would take place alongside the celebration. He could feel his pulse quicken as he got closer and closer to those massive black doors. Vegeta was by no means tall, but even compared to Nappa the doors were huge; he felt miniscule standing in front of them, and each time it was as if he was a mere child again, struggling to open them. He took a deep breath before resting his hands on the cooled surface, then pushed them open.

"Ah, finally done sparring I assume? It's about time you cleaned up." The king's voice echoed across the chamber, the massive stained-glass windows on either side lining the way to him.

Vegeta walked across the red carpet, motioning for the guards to leave the two of them in peace. They saluted the prince before turning on heel and exiting. "I need to talk to you."

"Of course you do. Why else would you pay your father a visit of your own free will." Vegeta felt his eye twitch but calmed himself; shouting would do him no good at the moment. "What is it you want to talk about?"

The chamber was so quiet; so massive. It was a miracle the King couldn't hear how loud the prince's heart was beating. Or, perhaps he could. "The ceremony." Vegeta stood at the bottom of the steps leading up to the throne where his father stared down at him. Hell, he even kneeled for good measure, much to the King's surprise. "I have a request."

The king sighed, leaning back in his throne and resting his chin in the palm of his hand. He looked incredibly bored, which irked Vegeta even more but he held his tongue. "You may marry her."

"Father I would like to-" The prince blinked at him a few times, not sure he heard him right. "Wait, I'm sorry?"

"You can marry the guard woman. She's certainly proved herself in my books. A woman willing to stand up to Frieza is one deserving of my son." Vegeta felt his jaw drop as he froze. His father had clarified and he still couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Are you- are you serious?"

"Don't make me repeat myself, boy," the king frowned. "It's annoying and unlike you." The king straightened up a bit, making eye contact with his son finally. "Not to mention she won the tournament and saved your life. She'll be stuck to your side regardless of whether or not you marry her."

Vegeta cleared his throat. "Th-thank you father. We'll make you proud tonight." He rose and bowed again to the king before turning and beginning to walk out.

"You shouldn't be thanking me, Vegeta." The prince stopped to look over his shoulder at his father, who seemed... sad. What was with everyone today? "Love is a terrible thing, my son. Once an enemy realizes what you hold dear, they will stop at nothing to rip it from you."

The prince scoffed, "as if I'd ever let that happen."

The king's lips drew taught, looking as though he wanted to say something else before his eyes softened and he regained his composure. "It can be wonderful, Vegeta, but it is also a curse. Trust your instincts tonight. You have my blessing to choose her, but ensure it is the right decision for the both of you."

Vegeta rolled his eyes and left, leaving his father to sit alone in the throne room as he reminisced of what was.

___

"Holy shit you did it," Nappa gasped, smiling wide as Vegeta walked down the halls with him.

"Don't you go spoiling it Nappa or I'll have your head." Despite the obvious threat, Vegeta's tone was happy for once as he made his way around the palace. He needed to get things ready for what would be the two of you's special day. His tail wagged around in excitement as he smirked and strutted around the palace, waving to guards on occasion who couldn't believe what they were seeing. Even the suitors he passed seemed shocked as he nodded to them, not giving a damn how they would react to his mannerisms.