Ch. 34: Home

Over the course of a year, Vegeta did nothing except train on the damn planet. He hated that he was still there, but Kakarot insisted that he should stay. That it would "help him grieve," or some bullshit like that. Bulma had an open room at her house and was more than happy to provide Vegeta with Earth currency and food. He could care less about her intentions; the only reason he stayed was because he was closer to the gravity chamber.

The longer Vegeta spent there, however, the more hollow he felt. His routine was the same everyday; wake up, eat, train, shower, eat some more, maybe say a few words to whoever was at the woman's house, then either train some more or go back to bed. It was boring, but it was a routine and it kept him going. The days flew by for him and he barely even noticed at this point. His decree to get stronger all those months ago allowed him to loosen his ties with Kakarot. Nappa hardly called to check in anymore, not that Vegeta was ever up for talking anyway.

As December approached, the weather began to cool on the planet, and soon it was covered in snow. He had never seen it before, as planet Vegeta was too warm all year round to produce it. He was forced to bundle up, in a long green coat and a blue scarf. He felt ridiculous standing out in the cold, the snow crunching beneath his feet.

Kakarot had woken him up early, much to his annoyance. Said something about some Earth holiday being around the corner and that he had a gift for the prince. Vegeta was hoping it was the ship that would allow him to leave the damn planet. Instead, there was a large blue box with red ribbon wrapped around it.

"The hell is this?" Vegeta snapped. "You woke me up early for this? It couldn't have waited a few more hours?"

"Nope! Bulma gave me a time and date and I stuck to it!" Goku rubbed his arms excitedly, the large blue jacket he was wearing crinkling with each pass of his hands.

"Gods is the gift from her?" Vegeta frowned, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I keep telling her I'm not interested in-"

"It's from me. Well, all of Earth I guess." Goku grinned, starting to hop up and down.

"Did they finally pledge their allegiance to me?" Vegeta chuckled. "It's about time." He walked up to the box, grabbing the silken ribbon in his hands and pulling it tightly to undo it. Then, he gripped the edge of the box and pulled off the lid to find-

"Are these?-" It was as if the cold had frozen him to the core. Inside the box were seven small, orange, glassy looking spheres. In each was a red star, ranging from 1 to seven. He turned to Goku with wide eyes, who was smiling excitedly.

"Surprise!" Goku grinned, bouncing some more. "I wasn't sure if they would come back when we wished back the planet! Then I found out Bulma had already used them by the time we got here so we had to wait a year for them to be useable again!"

Vegeta picked one up slowly, holding it in his gloved hand precariously. Against the snowy background they provided a stark contrast in the sunlight.

"Wishing orbs," he whispered, setting it back down in the box.

"Do you know what you're gonna-"

"Summon the damn dragon already!" Inside his coat his tail was wagging around like crazy, his heart racing as he stared at the box.

"Okay okay Geez!" Goku raised his hands to the sky, his sleeves sliding down his arms a bit. "Come forth, Shenron! And grant my wish!"

Vegeta watched as the balls began to glow and the sky darkened, lightning weaving its way through the clouds. Then, a crackling beam of light erupted in front of them, taking on the form of a large, green dragon.