Ch. 27: An Important Question

After dinner you all walked into a much larger banquet hall than the first; there were no thrones or tables, just a large open floor with a beautiful glass roof that let in the light from the setting sun. The pinks and golds in the sky matched the golden décor and reflected nicely off the marble columns, and the walls were lined with intricately cut, stained glass designs. The floor was scattered with lights coming from all around the room, mixing nicely with the brightly colored suits and dresses of the saiyans that stood upon it.

"It's beautiful, is it not?" The prince asked, walking with you inside. His arms were taut behind his back as he stood up straight. "It's why I picked it, after all."

"Vegeta, it's gorgeous." You stared up at the sky, watching as the clouds passed while he admired you under the light from above. "I didn't even know this room existed."

"Mm, well it's not used for much besides this ceremony," the prince replied, stepping farther in. He placed a hand on your arm and continued to guide you through, his fingers grazing the gems that dangled there. "Even then, it's not always the one chosen for courtship."

"Well that's a bit ridiculous, isn't it?" You sighed. "You should use it for more banquets and things like that. It's just so... beautiful."

He began to chuckle before replying, "I suppose I could. It wouldn't be a good place for war meetings though."

You smiled back before your eyes flickered to the windows once more, looking at the depictions of the phases of the moon or the giant, ancestral Oozarus. "I guess not. It's not very... secure."

He watched as you spun in a circle, marveling at the architecture and glass ceiling. You looked like a kid in a candy store, and he felt the tips of his ears flush as his tail flicked about.

He tapped your shoulder lightly, and you gave a quiet "hmm?" In response, looking back at him and tilting your head slightly. He seemed nervous, which caused you to shoot him a worried glance. His eyes softened at your gaze and he squeezed your shoulder before drawing his hand away.

"I'm okay; just wait right here, I'll be back." With that he quickly made his way through the crowd of people before disappearing out of your sight. You looked around, smiling at Raditz as he stood and talked with some saiyan woman. He shot you a gentle nod before your eyes moved to Goku, who was chatting with Nappa about something or other. You began to wave to them before you heard the sound of heavy footsteps coming up behind you.

"He's quite fond of you, you know." The king said as he stepped up beside you. You quickly bowed to him before he chuckled, "please, I told you we're well past that."

You felt your cheeks flush at what he had said moments before, the words finally registering in your mind before you glanced away from him.

"Come now, there's no need to be shy," he replied, setting a hand on your shoulder that was closest to him. "I'd like to apologize for.... Hitting you the other night."

You were shocked that the king of all people was apologizing to you, but you didn't show it. "Please sire, there's no need to apologize. I spoke out of turn."

He shook his head dismissively, "and I was too worked up to read the situation clearly." You both stood in silence for a moment after that before he spoke again. "You're a great warrior and an even better friend to my son. Thank you." With that, he walked away, making his way through the crowd as people bowed to him and offered him various things. Your tail whipped about anxiously, hating the feeling of being alone in a room full of so many saiyans. The pit of unease in your stomach was back as well as you watched the higher society mingle amongst themselves so casually; you felt out of place.