13: White Linen

She wanted to argue, but she knew the royal traditions had to be followed wherever she was and whoever she was. She heard the ringing of her phone and the one she learnt of her name as Sadiya rushed to her bag and she brought her phone for her. Seeing it was Ammi calling, she psoke to them before she picked the call. "Will you please give me some time to answer this call?" she asked, and they nodded their heads before they walked out of the room.

Ammi was sharp and straight when Fatima Zarah picked call, "What has gotten into your head, Fatima?!" She heard the thunder, and from then she knew that that something had happened. But she couldn't remember a wrong she did today, unless out of her knowledge.

"What have I done, Ammi?" Her voice was low and it came out in a whisper, she wanted al this to end.

"Are you even asking me what you've done, Fatima? What have you told Mama Fulani when she told you that you have to consummate your marriage today? Who the hell do you think you are for claiming tha you're going to sue him if he rapes you? Fatima wallahi Mama Fulani is being lenient on you just because you're my daughter, don't force yourself into her bad book, you'll be the one to suffer."

"But Ammi she said we'll have to use a white linen, a proof that I'm a virgin. Is she an illetrate like this? Does blood shows you're a virgin? Ammi it's just a freaking hymen, and besides, I don't want to consummate my marriage today, they can find a way out if they want." She sounded presumptous and she knew Ammi too can be more stubborn than she could ever dream of being.

"So you're telling me it's just a freaking hymen, right, Fatima? Show me that you're all grown up and you know your miserable rights as a lady. Wallahi don't try that woman, you'll be the one to cry at long last. And also, you're not ready doesn't clarify our words. Even in Islam, he has this right over you. Know the both sides of the knowledge, legal and islamic rights before you speak. Idiot!"

Fatima Zarah wanted to speak but Ammi cut her off, "And mind you, wallahi you have to do whatever they asked you of, don't anger me to the extent that I'll leave you with them, Fatima. If you know your rights and the law like you claim, you'll have to be smart in pursuing your rights from those that are above you, you don't have to be this dumb and stupid. I'll await any call that'll tell me what kind of an idiot you became today, and wallahi you'll suffer your consequences alone."

Ammi ended the call before Fatima Zarah had the chance to speak her mind, and she heaved a sigh and clutched the phone close to her chest. What was she going to do now that Ammi had intervened? Not the Ammi she knew, but a new side of her own mother. She cleared her throat and the maids walked back into the room. They handed her the nightgown and she had no more choice but to do as they said, and she wore it despite it's skimpiness.

They donned her her into another new thobe and the incense they blew on her was enough to make her head spin, and it did. They took both her hands and walked slowly to his majesty's chamber, the person she despised and hated the most. She watched as Sadiya knocked on the door and he ushered them in. With her head closed with the hood of the thobe, they guided her into his room and wished them goodnight before they left.

She was hungry, she was tired and wanted nothing but to sleep. But she knew she had to show this man that she wasn't going to relent on what his royal traditions wanted and what his annoying and bossy mother had ordered. She was human too, and she had her own rights which she couldn't let anyone trample on. She didn't know what happened between Ammi and the father she didn't know of his name yet, but she knew everything that happened was against Ammi's wish. From the marriage, down to the day she was set free. Even though she knew nothing about the story, she had avowed not to be the second version of Ammi. She won't live the kind of life Ammi had lived.