19: Lawful Case

He just got to the station and he met the Jannah as she cried her eyes out. "Have you taken the statement from her? Because she's the only one at the crime scene that can actually tell us what happened, and the ones we've captured when they've regained back conciousness. That'll help us to get the rest of them and find her father."

Small nodded his head at him and began telling him all that he had taken and the progresses on the case. He asked Stephanie to bring Jannah to his office and when she did, she left the office for the two of them. He asked her to sit down on one of the chairs facing his and she did, sobbing hysterically.

"You said your name is Jannah Idris Kakangi, right? From which state are you?" he asked, and she looked up at him while trying so hard to stop the fountain coming from her eyes.

"My father is from a village in Kaduna State, so that's where I'm from too. Kakangi." She was so naïve and innocent that he wanted to know more about her.

"How old are you, Jannah?" he asked, and she cleared her tears once again before she answered him.

"I'm 18 years old, I finished my secondary school just now." She ducked her head down seeing how intensely he was staring at her face, not knowing he was trying to read her expression so he could understand her words more and believe her too.

"That's fine, they've taken all the necessary informations from you, Jannah. Stephanie will take you to her house and she'll take care of you before we finally rescue your father, is that okay? Or you have relatives to go to, in Sokoto?" She quickly shook her head at him.

"I don't know any relative of mine, not even the ones in Kakangi. I'll go to her house, thank you sir." She thanked him and he called out to Stephanie without responding.

Stephanie rushed into the office and he pointed at Jannah before he spoke, "Please, take her with you until this case is resolved. She can stay with you until we're able to rescue her father from those bandits, okay?" She nodded her head and saluted at him. Wondering what kind of man he was. How could he just ask her to go back home with a grown up lady and not bother wether her husband would be okay with it or not? He was so self concerned that she wondered how he think.

He didn't leave the office until it was after 10pm and he drove home directly, exhausted to the point that he didn't even know where or how to start from. The worst part of it was, he knew he couldn't sleep the way he wanted to ease off his tiredness. He parked the car in the parking lot and went directly to the dining table because he was so hungry beyong words could explain.

And there he met her, in her pyjamas with her hair roughly brought into a bun and she hanged a veil loosely on it. She was studying something, with huge textbooks placed before her while she ate. He stared at her for a minute before he sat down and served himself. Even though she had noticed his presence, she didn't bother to look up from her books while her hand moved from tracing the lines to putting the snack into her mouth.

It was difficult, and she wasn't even understanding what she was reading. The case was so jumbling and hard that she didn't know when she screamed out of frustration and looked up at him. "If it were you, how would you go about with this case, Al-mustapha?" She didn't even know when she asked, but then a part of her knew he might have something to say about the case. He might help her solve it.

"What?" he had already lifted himself up and was about to go when she asked, but he found himself sitting back on the chair after she did.

She sat upright, gulped down her drink at once before she spoke. "The case is, two men love a woman. She sets an to meet the first guy and the second guy happen to know about where they were about to meet. So he followed her behind without her knowing. At the scene, let's say the eatery they planned to meet with the first guy, she was found died, but the two guys claimed they weren't the ones that killed her and the people working in the restuarant said they haven't seen any one them. But it has to be one of them that killed her, who do you think it will be?"