Chapter Three: A Sweet Side

"Have you ever been with a man before, Hugo?" Varian mused, undoing more buttons.

"No, I mean, w-well, yes, I have but—"

"Then you know exactly what to do." Gripping the now open doublet in both hands, he pulled him forward. The blond stumbled slightly, catching himself with both hands on either side of the slim prince beneath him.

"I really don't think we should—"

"Are you refusing a prince sexual favors?" Varian challenged, giving him a dangerous little grin.

Hugo couldn't help but get lost in the gorgeous blue eyes. "N-no, er, well..." Finding some sense, he pulled back, taking the hands off his doublet and holding them there in front of him as he sat on the edge of the bed. Varian sat up as well, eyeing him. "Listen, in your condition, you really shouldn't be having intercourse. With a UTI, it can spread the infection further or at the very least, agitate it more. Besides, I'm sure you're in a lot of pain down there, right? Would this even be pleasurable for you?"

Varian considered him, a hint of surprise as well as something else Hugo couldn't quite read on his face. "Ah. It does not feel nearly as pleasant as it used to, no, not even with my best companions but I must continue on with my life somehow. I just wish this illness would be over with already. I feel a slave to it."

"It'll be alright." He squeezed the hands gently before letting them go. "Once I get my things, it'll take me mere seconds to start your cure going."

The prince fell back on his pillow and turned his head away from him, sighing in defeat. "I wish that time was now. What agony I feel..."

Hesitantly considering the nude form for a second, Hugo opted to rest a comforting hand on Varian's raised knee. "Just a bit longer. You'll be feeling better in no time. Trust me."

Keeping his head turned, the prince gave a small smile. "I have just met you and for some reason I believe your words full heartedly. Hugo," he glanced back over at him, "for now, I require that you sleep by my side this night. It would be humiliating to send you away at such an hour."

He raised an eyebrow. "Like you sent away that other man, Andrew?"

"That is different. He is not new. There is fierce competition between my male companions, and I would hate for you to receive a difficult time from them on your first night here if they were to find out you were sent away early from my chamber."

"Oh." He searched the handsome face in slight surprise. "I actually really appreciate the consideration. And here I thought maybe I'd peaked at a rose petal bath and fancy room, but apparently not."

Varian chuckled in response. "I do like my companions to be cared for, and maybe I do pamper them a bit too much, but who is to stop me?"

"I'm not complaining."

The higher-in-pitch giggle made Hugo's heart sing, which, okay heart, not the best timing. Who's to say he was even going to get Varian his cure after traveling back to his time period? He was a stranger. It's not like he had to face the repercussions of someone who would by then, be five hundred years dead.

Something tugged at his heart. 

He'd promised himself last year that he wasn't going to act selfishly anymore, hadn't he? And yet here he was, only thinking of himself when this dying medieval man could very easily be saved. He owed the prince for saving his neck.

"Hugo?"

"Hm?" He snapped back to attention, and Varian laughed.

"You are something of a daydreamer. Do I really bore you that much?"